Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Video of Don the Beachcomber or Trader Vic?

Pages: 1 25 replies

Are there any videos out there with Donn Beach or Vic Bergeron? I understand Donn was in a few films as an extra, but I'd love to see a clip of either of them talking. I tried the Internet Archive with no luck. :(

T-shirts based on vintage tiki matchbooks: TikiTees

[ Edited by: TikiTacky 2013-08-22 07:14 ]

I haven't found any audio or video interviews, but it appears that a 64 page transcript exists of two interviews of Donn Beach. As part of a Hawaii oral history project by the Watumull Foundation, Alice Sinesky interviewed Donn on Sept. 16 and Oct. 9, 1986. I wonder, has anyone explored this source for "new to us" information, ever? If not, perhaps someone on the ground in Oahu could see if they can get access. It may not be so much about him, as sharing his experiences and insights into Hawaiian society, itself, but who knows what incidental tidbits it might contain?
Here are links to the interview transcript in The Hawaii State Archives and the Hamilton Library, U of H, Manoa.

[Update: PM'd Phillip Roberts, and found he was aware of this, but had not yet been able to gain access, before he recently left the islands. Perhaps someone with privileges or connections within the U of H system can look into this?]

"The rum's the thing..."

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2013-08-22 19:35 ]

Phillip Roberts does have an audio recording of Donn Beach that he would play to people that took his Waikiki Walking Tiki Tour. It was just a few minutes long and he had a great story about how it came into his possession. He can explain it better than me.

I have access to the UH Hamilton Library so I'll try to get to it. Give me a week cause I have to undergo a medical procedure today.

Good luck, creativenative!

He's not interviewed, but in "South Seas Adventure" in Cinerama, they film a big Tahitian dance number at Don the Beachcomber's in Hawaii, and if you watch closely, you can see Don the Beachcomber, playing the part of Don the Beachcomber, and wearing what you would hope to see him wearing.

Aloha,

Yes, I do have a recording of Donn Beach in 1958 talking about his Sunday "Feast of the Islands" luau. I got it from a huge reel of tape that was in the storage area of one of the radio stations in Hawaii. It's very cool and lasts 2 minutes. It will be included in the iBook and eBook versions of Waikiki Tiki: Art, History, and Photographs that is currently being worked on. I don't know when those will be done, but they will contain all sorts of bonus material...

Like to hear some Mynah birds talk at the International Market Place? in 1958? Only :32 seconds and sadly not the one that says "Gimmie a beer stupid."

Waikiki Tiki; Art, History, and Photographs.
Available now from Bess Press Hawaii.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2013-08-22 14:07 ]

HT

Can't wait Phillip!!!

Thanks TikiTacky for your kind words. I tried the Library this morning BUT that section where the document is stored is closed for construction till next Monday when classes start. I'll try again next week.

I was going to say, thanks, creativenative, for being our Hawaii-based "Tiki Sherlock Holmes". But maybe the more appropriate fictional metaphor would be "Tiki Charlie Chan",... since he was a Honolulu police detective. :wink:

My mission isn't over yet but you guys and/or gals can count on me. Creative Native the Detective (Ret 5-0)

S

There is footage of Donn with Clark Gable, probably at Donn's home on The DVD of Tiki.

If you do not own this DVD, you MUST BUY IT NOW!

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

[ Edited by: Swanky 2013-08-23 09:22 ]

Got the Donn Beach interview transcript. It wasn't easy. But using my charms and masterful persuasions I not only got it out of the vault but I also convinced them to break their own rule and they let me scan it all. I saved it to a pdf format. Now someone in TC help me figure out how to get this pdf onto this forum. Any suggestions anyone? I ran out of charms :)

[ Edited by: creativenative 2013-08-27 23:04 ]

Open it with Photoshop and change it to a jpeg?

Donn Beach Interview 2 years before he died-SORRY just read the copyright warning. Better heed to it or they will kick me out of school. I just started today. I guess people should pm me for further information on this transcript.

Thank you for your understanding
Creative Native

Tiki Movies & Tiki TV @ southseascinema.org

[ Edited by: creativenative 2013-08-28 02:59 ]

[ Edited by: creativenative 2013-08-28 03:04 ]

:o

Ouh c'mon...why would that be such secret material? Who'd be interested in that sort of thing other than a few Tiki nerds?

Please, pretty please!

Interesting that Donn doesn't mention his grandfather, who according to the biography published by his wife, funded his initial world tour. The biography also doesn't mention his time in Hawaii right before WWII.

he's not saying it's secret-- he's saying it has copyright registration protection, in other words the author has the exclusive rights to publish the transcript and he doesn't want to risk being liable for infringement.

although, maybe the scholarly nature of the collection of the Tiki nerdhood here could qualify for a scholarly 'fair use' exception?

OK OK...and I like that exception idea :)

Thanks Porpoise you are right. Once this is posted on TC it is not for a few tiki geeks on TC to view it, the whole world has access to it because it is on the web and with the most powerful search engine in the world, Google and it's e-spiders roam the web 24/7, the document can be found for anyone. This transcript is from the Watumull Foundation who donated some money so that their researchers could record personal oral histories of important people that were still alive in Hawaii in the early 70s (88 people I believe) than another 33 in the mid 80s like Donn. The Foundation sealed up all the recordings and distributed the transcript copies of the recordings to 3 locations, UH's Hamilton Library, the State of Hawaii Archive and the Library of Kamehameha Schools. Couple Librarians at Hamilton told be there are stipulations on circulation. These transcripts are now in a protected vault at Hamilton in the Hawaiian/Polynesian sub Library with other rare collections. I just happen to start my master studies under the Pacific Islands Studies, the day this part of the library reopened after some construction (this past Monday) all of which made me eligible to view this document and take notes on it. Of course this all started just after TikiTacky's inquiry of the subject on TC in the first place and Limbo Lizard dedication in finding out about this transcript. I believe in fate. The tiki god are indeed with us. There is more to this interesting story, again if anyone is truly interested please PM me.

Creative Native,

Thank you for telling your story about your discovery. Good luck with your studies.

Also, Limbo Lizard for starting the search!

"People are like islands. You have to get close to them to know what they are about."
~ Adam Troy

[ Edited by: maukahale 2013-08-29 12:50 ]

Thank you for your dedication to Tiki research, CN. Keep up the good work!

A

What happened after Fayaway and her mother walked in the room?

(No copyright restriction on paraphrasing or re-telling part of a story, right?)

-Randy

PM me and I'll tell you. Tonight Hawaii time after the UH USC game. Go bows!
For the rest of you, thank you for your kind words. Message received. Ironically I'm writting this in the Hamilton Library. HA! Maybe I am a super spy for the Tiki Nation.

Pages: 1 25 replies