Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

E-bay ads and new product offers

Pages: 1 17 replies

(5ft) Fierce Warrior Tiki Totem pole for sale/ auction
tiki_grl2002

This is a question to Hanford in response to the above ad. Maybe you should start a seperate forum under "E-bay and Tiki offers", because I could see the "Collecting Tiki" forum getting swamped with Tiki ads once it gets around that there is a Tiki buying target group called Tiki Central out there.
Members could still refer to e-bay links in "Collectables" when discussing interesting Tiki finds on e-bay, or e-bay misslabeling and such, but purely commercial offers should go to another forum.

...I realize it might be hard to seperate the helpful from the commercial, but Tiki girl posted this in ALL three forums, that's just too much, we have to curtail that. I am not an e-bay regular, and having to read these e-bay lingo sales offers gets on my nerves, like all obvious sales pitches, Tiki or not.

All the other Tiki vendors that know and are on this site have so far respected the non-commercial content of this group, but they are going to feel stupid and left out if this catches on.

I realize this response is in direct contrast to my response to the recent post of the Witco grandson (who is a little more humble in his approach), but I am interested in his work for obvious reasons. Nevertheless, he and everybody else who sells Tiki wares (which we are certainly in support of) should have a seperate forum, and whoever does not respect that should be taken off.

I ALSO realize this could start an endless discussion about what is commercial; and that if I say I like this'n'that, that THAT is already commercial; and that ALL Tiki is basically commercial.... but I think we all know what I am talking about here. I am NOT saying we shall deprive the struggling Tiki manufacturers of addressing this select target group, just that they should do the outright selling on it's own forum.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki on 2002-06-30 13:52 ]

TBC

Hey Sven,
Are You sure this is gonna catch on?!?(trying to sell on here)Remember last weekend!
_=CC=-
Why dont You comment on my smart -ass remarks ? That wont make me stop!!!Cry maybe ; (

Sorry CC, didn't mean to ignore you, I just try to address the broader interest group in general...and I still am interested in that "Salton Tiki" painting by Anne, (just don't know if I can afford it):
The "Salton Tiki" was one of the first lost Tiki joints that caught my curiosity in the 80s, not because of itself so much, but because the whole COMMUNITY it was in was "lost". I loved going out there, exploring the run down trailer parks and delapidated Yacht clubs on both shores. I shot an "Underground" movie by the Albert Frey yacht club, filming skating in the broken up pool (a la Dog Town), staying at the Motel there. This vast expanse of stinky water with it's dead fish lining the shores prfectly fit my morbid sensibilities.
You can imagine my dissappointment when I saw the recent feature "Salton Sea" and only found the faintest glimpses of that great environment in it. What a wasted chance to feature a great location.
And now I hear they are cleaning up the places, what a shame, glad I took some pics while out there two years ago...

Hi All,

BigBro: Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I've removed her duplicate posts, but one remains in the "Collecting Tiki" forum.

I also want to bring up the point that Tiki_Grl didn't break any rules here per se, since we don't really have any rules established yet. I've emailed her and she's now aware of the (until now implied) no-multi-posting rule.

Just wanted to let everyone know:

1. While Tiki Central does not have a policy on Spamming yet, it is inappropriate and unacceptable to post the same message (esp. an ad) across all of our forums. On other forums it would be consitered Spam and would get you kicked out.
  2. There's nothing inheriently wrong with posting a message that's a link to your ebay ad (yet). It just needs to be in the Collecting Tiki forum.
  3. I will be working with other members of Tiki Central to put together a Spamming policy, and a multi-post policy, and an ad policy.
  4. If you see anyone making posts that you feel inappropriate, feel free to email me at [email protected] . I don't get to read every post anymore.

Aloha,

~Hanford

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2002-06-30 14:39 ]

I think a separate 'Ebay Corral' would be a superb idea... Especially if some of the more unscrupulous and non-tiki targeted merchants catch on that they have a captive audience.

I'm all for the special section, but not until ebay ads start to become a problem.

Has it already?

Well, of course, not yet... :) As the fame of Tiki Central spreads, I could totally see it happening. Another benefit to having a section eventually would be that club members could post their own ebay tikiness and let the rest of us know ahead of time, helping their finds to get a good home. Just my 2ยข...

M

I was wondering about the proliferation of topics, does cause clutter. I would have to agree, too many new topics and especially when all it is is a "look at my listing!". It's difficult when starting of new topics is "self-policing"...I agree there should be one topic space for people to say, "look at my auctions".

What's ironic is I am putting some duplicates and other Tiki finds from my collection on Ebay tonite. Don't what to contribute to exactly what I find troublesome, as Bigbro has explained. So, if anyone's interested, look under sellers for "cpt.midnite".

Yes, I am a shamless hack. But any Tiki Central members winning my stuff will get preferential shipping rates and assorted other goodies. Just let me know!

midnite

I myself don't like having a ton of different places I have to look when I want to check out Tiki Central.

I was thinking perhaps we could have a subject prefix that anyone posting an ebay add should include in he subject line, like:

ebay: Rare Tiki Mug

That way it's still in the Collecting Tiki forum, but easily reconized and skiped over (or read) by members.

Of course, the hardest part will be getting people to do it, but hopefully that won't be a problem. And we can appoint moderators to modify the subject line if it doesn't have it.

What do you guys think?

~Hanford

TBC

On 2002-06-30 14:21, bigbrotiki wrote:
Sorry CC, didn't mean to ignore you, I just try to address the broader interest group in general...and I still am interested in that "Salton Tiki" painting by Anne, (just don't know if I can afford it):
The "Salton Tiki" was one of the first lost Tiki joints that caught my curiosity in the 80s, not because of itself so much, but because the whole COMMUNITY it was in was "lost". I loved going out there, exploring the run down trailer parks and delapidated Yacht clubs on both shores. I shot an "Underground" movie by the Albert Frey yacht club, filming skating in the broken up pool (a la Dog Town), staying at the Motel there. This vast expanse of stinky water with it's dead fish lining the shores prfectly fit my morbid sensibilities.
You can imagine my dissappointment when I saw the recent feature "Salton Sea" and only found the faintest glimpses of that great environment in it. What a wasted chance to feature a great location.
And now I hear they are cleaning up the places, what a shame, glad I took some pics while out there two years ago...

There Now, waz that so hard?!?
Anne ( Catalina in the oven) & I sailed the Salton Sea !I guess they dont get to many 'cause when we showed up at the state park gate They thought we were from USLA to do sum tests on the water!Once You got past the rotting fishys It was Great! The best sailing ever !!!& No one else there (But thats another story)We lashed down the tiller went in the galley grabbed a bottle of wine sum glasses ,& both set up on the bow!Yer Movie sounds great! Can I C ?!?
(Salton Sea the movie-Toobad)Give Anne a E maybe you can make-a-deal on the painting! -=CC=-

Aloha Sven,just had to get my 2 cents worth in!A fisherman that I talked to who was just to Salton Sea said the North Shore Yacht club WAS still there!So you were right about that.He said everything was boarded up even the motel nearby.I also was searching the web and saw a more recent pic than mine(that I used for the painting I did)and some of the signs were gone and also the metal designs protruding from the "portholes".Someone told me even the stairways were stolen.Unbelievable!
Anyway,it was funny about the Salton Tiki.We thought that tiki was soo cool.Now there are so many talented carvers who blow that tiki away.(Even so,would've been cool to have it!)The food was lousy.Wish I had taken more pictures.Inside they had a small mural of a hula girl and some masks on the wall.
I'll give you a deal you can afford(and maybe I'll throw in a Salton Tiki coaster!).
Me and the fam. have to get our butts down to Salton Sea and check it out.Too bad we didn't snag the large yacht club doormat when we had the chance.We were too honest...then!Some lucky sucker got it.
(BTW,it was UCLA,not USLA!)

Ooops, sorry, Anne and everybody, we are getting of the topic too far here, and I started it. E-mail me watcha want for your fine Salton Tiki painting, please.

A

Perhaps it's time to talk "Alnshely Industries" we sell Amway bar products. Amway Rum, Amway Falernum and Amway Triple Sec. Don't forget to vist our all nude website "NAKEDWAHINE.COM" for your free cell phone minutes. I can't wait to be on the bus at the OC Crawl so I can sell you all life insurance.
Al

On 2002-06-30 15:50, bigbrotiki wrote:
Ooops, sorry, Anne and everybody, we are getting of the topic too far here, and I started it. E-mail me watcha want for your fine Salton Tiki painting, please.

Sorry too!
Sven,where is your e-mail address on Tiki Central!?
I e-mailed you off your Book of Tiki website.
Aloha!

What the heck!
Here's the link to CC's tiki on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2117282615
Bid soon,only 4 1/2 hours left!

F

I don't think its a problem yet. Putting "ebay:" in the subj could help.

It would be worse to keep chopping up the forum into more bits- I already wish it was just one

W

A Kudos Bar to bigbrotiki for having the cajones to address this topic. The multiple listings were bugging me but I figured noses would get bent out of shape if I said anything. The idea of a seperate "Hawking Tiki" forum if the eBay and other ads get too thick in the Collecting forum is a good one, but then I like the sepearte forums in general.

On 2002-06-30 21:58, fatuhiva wrote:
It would be worse to keep chopping up the forum into more bits- I already wish it was just one

Yeah, I don't want to chop it up. I not 100% sure if we've got the categories correct yet, but I'm definitely not in favor of more.

Do you really wish it was back to one forum?

~Hanford

Pages: 1 17 replies