Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

What are some of your favorite home tiki bars?

Pages: 1 16 replies

T

I've seen some real winners on here, but whose home bar really stands out in your mind? Post links to threads!

Edit: I'm not trying to discourage anyone, I'm trying to encourage everyone! I think it's fun to share some favorites. There's so much great stuff buried in here, but it can be hard to wade through it all. Are there any you've seen that stand out? I saw one in the past that had part of a plane incorporated into the bar that I thought was awesome, but couldn't find it again.

T-shirts based on vintage tiki matchbooks: TikiTees

[ Edited by: TikiTacky 2013-09-02 09:33 ]

[ Edited by: TikiTacky 2013-09-02 09:55 ]

On 2013-09-01 21:05, TikiTacky wrote:
I've seen some real winners on here, but whose home bar really stands out in your mind? Post links to threads!

I'm not sure that I would want to rank the many home tiki bars that I have visited or viewed online as "the best". Imho they are all top notch and we should encourage anyone trying a build-out (not always an easy task) to build it according to their personal taste, needs, and wants and of course financial situation. I certainly have seen some "standouts" but I'm not prepared to tell anyone that their attempts no matter how feeble don't live up to your or my standards. If I was paying someone for my build-out I would have no qualms about voicing any dissatisfactions-It's my bar.
I'm sorry if I am misunderstanding the premise that you are pursuing and I am not looking for a fight but again imho, your questions seem inappropriate.
Cheers

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-09-02 00:22 ]

S

On 2013-09-02 00:21, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:

I'm not sure that I would want to rank the many home tiki bars that I have visited or viewed online as "the best". Imho they are all top notch and we should encourage anyone trying a build-out (not always an easy task) to build it according to their personal taste, needs, and wants and of course financial situation. I certainly have seen some "standouts" but I'm not prepared to tell anyone that their attempts no matter how feeble don't live up to your or my standards. If I was paying someone for my build-out I would have no qualms about voicing any dissatisfactions-It's my bar.
I'm sorry if I am misunderstanding the premise that you are pursuing and I am not looking for a fight but again imho, your questions seem inappropriate.
Cheers

Very well put David. Couldn't agree more.

T

On 2013-09-02 00:21, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:

Cheers

Thank you for taking the time to write out your response. You're absolutely right, the question was poorly thought out. The ones with the "best" bars are usually the ones with the most money to throw at it, although good taste doesn't always accompany deep pockets. Yes, I agree, we should be encouraging everyone; but I also believe that there's benefit to acknowledging the ones that really stand out to people for various reasons. I love to see challenges overcome, or hard work pay off. Some of the bars in this thread go above and beyond in creativity and execution, and it's those bars that I think are inspirational and worthy of pointing out. I'm not a believer in the "everyone is a winner" mantra, I am a believer that anyone can be—it just takes more effort for some.

This thread has hundreds of bars in it, including many that start off with promise and then are never updated. Not everyone has the time to go through all of them to see what went into the really successful ones, and I think there is definitely merit in pointing those out. What I should have said was "Name some favorites," but I'll leave my original question with an addendum.

As a final note, you said my questions (plural) were inappropriate. I have been asking a lot of questions lately, and I will admit that on occasion I am provocative. To be honest, I find browsing through the old TC posts to be very fun and informative, because everyone was excited and things were new. These days, the only topics that seem to get much response are about events and tiki carving. Often, posts end with the dead end "this has been covered, do a search." Bigbrotiki is often keeping things fresh by adding new information to an old topic, something which he is a master of (and how big is his collection, anyway?!). My post on Witco was intentionally inflammatory because I wanted to get a discussion going, and it did. I quite lively on, I thought, yet no one called names or argued.

To paraphrase a jokester, "this website needs an enema." I'd just like to see a little more of the excitement and wonder that the TCers of old had. Maybe just wishful thinking on my part, but I'm invested enough to give it a try.

[ Edited by: TikiTacky 2013-09-02 09:56 ]

M

Instead of best how about asking this.

Name YOUR top 5 favorites. No one can argue or should take offense with a favorite.

Ive seen so many amazing home bars on TC it would be hard to pick.
What always earns the most respect with me is people who really make the most of whatever space they have.

Ive seen closet sized bars that are super cool because the builder/owner was creative and ingenious about how to make the most of what they have.

I really enjoy the builds where I see the before photos and see what has been done with the space and I conclude... "wow, I never would have thought to put that there, or use that color, or whatever".

Favorites in no particular order.

Bongofurys- Rincon Room- Ventura
Ona Tiki Lounge- San Diego
Matt Reese-Lava Flow Inn- San Diego
Mr. Pupu Pants- Hula Sues South Seas Hideaway- Washington
Murph's- Waikiki Womb- Los Angeles

Nice selection MM. Yours certainly belongs at the top of any list of outstanding bars!
TT, I 'd love to pop a bottle of rum withyou-I like the way you think!
Cheers all

Thanks, Monkeyman! Here's links to ones you mentioned:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=18053&forum=20

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=25372&forum=20

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=28247&forum=20

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=35774&forum=20

I could find the one from OnaTiki, though. Either way, great suggestions! And Hula Sue's was the one I couldn't find again—brilliant!

[ Edited by: TikiTacky 2013-09-02 11:02 ]

A

On 2013-09-02 11:00, TikiTacky wrote:

I could find the one from OnaTiki, though. Either way, great suggestions! And Hula Sue's was the one I couldn't find again—brilliant!

OnaTiki
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z4QcuvZpJ0

I can attest that it's great

There are a ton of great and beautiful builds on here. But if I had to choose one absolute favorit it would have to be Hula Sues south seas hideaway by Mr Pupu Pants.

R

Possible thread jack :)

Ever since I first discovered this amazing forum I've always hoped there would be a single thread that showcased everyone's bars. I know there was one early on but that seemed to derail into a mass build thread, not everyone posted their bars in it, and, IMO has long since gone past it's original intended use.

As an ultimate reference tool to showcase all the wonderful bars, I would just love to scroll through one long thread of pics, 2 or 3 of each bar with a brief description, and a link to the original thread.

So, I propose a PICS ONLY thread (stickied?) where we all post just the pics and basic info of our bars. No comments! Just Pics and info. What say you?

PP

Its eally hard to just pick five or 10, there are sooooooo many that Ive seen here that I would love to live in, but here are 6 that have really inspired me, although I have taken ideas from others, these are some of my favs, in no order .......

1)The Waikiki Womb

2)The Ohana be Gonna Lounge

3)The Kanakoa Lounge

4)Ka-Bar

5)The Breezeway

1. new fav.......Treasure Island room

note I didn't even list my own as my fav lol

Pele Paul,

Dam, you picked my bar as #4 on your list.

I'm doing back flips that I even made the list!!!!!

You just made my year.

Thanks Brother Tikiman.

-Longboard

[ Edited by: Longboard 2013-09-06 11:43 ]

PP

On 2013-09-06 11:41, Longboard wrote:
Pele Paul,

Dam, you picked my bar as #4 on your list.

I'm doing back flips that I even made the list!!!!!

You just made my year.

Thanks Brother Tikiman.

-Longboard

[ Edited by: Longboard 2013-09-06 11:43 ]

LOL glad to hear it, although my favs were in no order, that's just how I wrote them down so yours is even higher than #4 lol
love all your nautical stuff, too cool!!!
paul

T

Thanks for your vote Paul, BUT...
Mine is not even close to....

Bongofurys- Rincon Room- Ventura
Any of Amys aka Queen Kamehameha
Swanky has a great home bar
And Monkey Mans is Way cool!
I have missed some but these come to mind.

Dam there are sooo many.

But sadly my bar like so many homes and or bars
of people who make and sell tiki is more ready for
the show Hoarders.
I think some of us spend so much time trying to make tiki
that our spots do not get much care.
Not all but I have seen this in some of the tiki makers homes.
Thanks though!
You have a very cool spot at your home as well really.

-==--==--==--==-Google "Tiki bar lights" To find TIKISKIP-==--==--==--==-

¦:-·:''"":·.-:¦:-**-:¦:-·:''"":·.-:¦

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2013-09-06 13:03 ]

PP

maybe I didn't see some of those, let me go take a look!!

T

Dam I forgot Svens house!
That is ground ZERO for Tiki!

What we would like to see are some of the old bars once posted here on TC. Like for instance Basement Kahuna's bar. I remember he used to have a string tied to the door connected to a record player, and when you opened up it would play our favorite Les Baxter record. There's at least three different threads on here about his place, all with amazed comments at how it looks ... and all of the photos are broken.

Or Castway Cove, the first home tiki bar ever mentioned on Tiki Central. It was TikiMaxton's bar and backyard, and according to one visitor in "The largest tiki bar allowed by law," it was nearly the size of a city block. But none of the pics remain. Ditto for The Humuhumu Room, and many others from the early days.

Is there any way to get these images back?

Pages: 1 16 replies