Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Glass fishing floats from Florida!

Pages: 1 10 replies

I just received my fishing floats I bought in Florida during Hukilau 2003 weekend. I had a little time to kill before I had to head to the airport, and came across this shell & gift store. Not much besides shells for sale, but did have really cool and very authentic looking floats!

They were only $35 for the smaller red one, and $45 for the larger green one. They are much more authentic looking than a lot of the repros you see at shell shops & ebay. They are really heavy. The rope is the same heavy rope that would originally be used for these types of floats, not the cheap thin frayed jute rope on most repros.

The shop had quite a few more available. They are Alex's Gift & Shell Shop in Dania Beach, Florida, (954)923-2310. Very close to Ft. Lauderdale airport. And they ship, too, but because of weight and size, came to $30 each to pack & ship. Anyway, still much cheaper than authentic old ones, and better looking than the cheap repros!

TraderPup, was the green one 12 inches dia.?

[ Edited by: jungletrader on 2003-07-10 21:28 ]

T-P,

Does this mean I can rest now and stop trying to think of a way to get that purlpe float next door?

Tank you Pup! Thank Florida! And, thank the shell shop!!! I'm going to bed now!

The green one is 11", red one 7" diameter, not including netting

:tiki:

Does anyone ever wire these floats with a light bulb? Or is that too tacky? One of the pix in the "Tiki Mugs & More gallery" under home tiki rooms looked as though someone had done this in their home bar and I thought it looked pretty cool. I was wondering how difficult it might be....

Wow, those posts are a veritable wellspring of float-lighting knowledge---thanks, Pop!

M

On 2003-07-12 17:06, suffering bastard wrote:
Does anyone ever wire these floats with a light bulb? Or is that too tacky?

cough! sputter! T...t...too tacky? I don't understand.

:)

Pup,get those floats out off the ground, they are not "gazing balls"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Relax, 2-wheel, they're just there for the pic.... soon will have a home in the Spectacular East Indies Room!

:tiki:

Fantastic! If we go back to Lauderdale when I'm thinking we'll have to pick a couple up to go into Shangri-La.

Pages: 1 10 replies