Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

is this valuable??

Pages: 1 20 replies

hey, I found this tiki mug way back when I was a kid. I just thought it was cool, so I kept it..

there was a show on tv called "things remembered" or something like that, but in the beginning of the show, one time... this exact tiki mug was shown for a split second... i have never been able to find out any information about it though...

Nope......

It's unusual, but probably not highly valued by collectors for a few reasons:

• There's no sculptural detail to it. It's all hand painted.
  • It likely isn't associated with any popular locations, such as Trader Vic's.
  • It looks to be somewhat damaged.

Keep it as a pen cup, and enjoy it! :)

It looks similar to the Blaisdell Pottery Native American/canada/Alaskan Totem pole style mugs..... you might try researching that.

http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/mug.cgi?mode=view&mug_id=1685

It's a hobbyist piece, however I've seen a great number of them made in exactly those glaze colors, so somebody other than a hobbyist made a great many of them.

ErichTroudt hit it on the mark, it is not Tiki, but based on a Pacific Northwest Indian Totem
Sascha Brastoff (This is not one of his) did many Indian Art ceramics that get mistaken for "Tiki" designs.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2013-09-12 17:52 ]

It is made by Victoria Ceramics Japan. It is not a hobbyist mug. I've only seen originals such as your example. It is a redware piece that is fired once? for the gloss brown color then cold painted for the facial features.
EDIT: I believe Blaisdales are fired more than once. I'm no ceramist so the firing part could be better explained by someone else.

Viva Kate!

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2013-09-15 11:25 ]

T

Just picked up one to match other pieces in the set I have. Totem pole for sure but I love them.

Well I'd say that settles that.....cocktail time.

Here are my pieces.

Another case of sellers not even knowing what they are selling or worth
eBay bitches.......

G

Anyone think this is the mug pictured under Samoa Fog Cutter?

Image from Arkiva Tropika

gabbahey

No, it is not a Tiki mug referred to above.

G

I cropped them so it was easier to see what I was talking about. The menu is from The Beachcomber in Winnipeg.
Looks to me like the mug they are trying to depict.

Now, does that add tiki to it or reinforce the Pacific Northwest-ness? :wink:

Either way, I've avoided this one like the plague which is why I was surprise to see it on a menu.

gabbahey

FM

That is some good sleuthing work, gabbahey.

The Beachcomber menu does not display any mugs
they are just loose illustrations of cocktails

And that "Pacific Northwest Indian" ceramic figure was not used in any Tiki Bars
read the rest of the thread before the old "ATP" makes an appearance.

Now go to bed......

T

On 2014-01-03 19:51, gabbahey wrote:

I cropped them so it was easier to see what I was talking about. The menu is from The Beachcomber in Winnipeg.
Looks to me like the mug they are trying to depict.

Now, does that add tiki to it or reinforce the Pacific Northwest-ness? :wink:

Either way, I've avoided this one like the plague which is why I was surprise to see it on a menu.

gabbahey

You're right, the graphic in the menu depicts the mug in question. It's still not tiki.

It is interesting though that of all the mugs they could have used, they chose that one. So maybe it is trying to reinforce the "Pacific Northwest-ness" of the restaurant's location. And maybe they actually used the mug at the restaurant?

FM

It would be interesting if they did use that mug at the restaurant. It could be an example of creating a connection with the locals, like the recent Trader Vic's LA Clippers mug. It's a tiki mug from Trader Vic's, but with LA Clippers on it. There was a recent thread on that where the design was "borrowed".

[ Edited by: Fez Moai 2014-01-04 11:37 ]

On 2014-01-04 02:59, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
The Beachcomber menu does not display any mugs
they are just loose illustrations of cocktails

If that's an illustration of a cocktail then the illustrator was hallucinating. :wink:

I agree that it was likely they used the mug as a cross-over between Tiki and Totem due to their location in Winnipeg. Excellent detective work! It's still not a tiki in the traditional sense, but the inclusion on the Beachcomber menu is an interesting twist.

You will all pay for your ignorance!
just as soon as I find my pants of VENGEANCE!

Pages: 1 20 replies