Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Looking to form a South Bay Poly Pop group. Interested?

Pages: 1 16 replies

Aloha!

I'm looking to form a poly pop/tiki group here in the South Bay (Torrance, Redondo Beach, etc.).

The main focus of the group would be to share information on the history of poly pop culture in the South Bay through research on various tiki themed restaurants, bars and apartment complexes in and around the South Bay area.

The group would have monthly meet and greets at various tiki themed bars/restaurants in the South Bay area to talk tiki/poly pop and anything that tickles our fancy. It's more or less a great way to make new friends and hook up with others that all share a common interest.

If all goes well and we get a decent group of people together we can start looking into hosting events (BBQs, live entertainment, etc).

I'm already working on a website (southbaypolypopsociety.com) and Facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/southbaypolypopsociety/) where I'll be posting info on our events, poly pop history in the South Bay and other tiki related items.

If anyone living in the South Bay area is interested in getting this together and making it happen, please feel free to contact me. southbaypolypopsociety AT gmail.com.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Mahalo!

Eric Musick

[ Edited by: UnkleFunky 2013-09-18 09:53 ]

M

Make sure you have good steel guitar in it and it'll be a success.

Ha ha! I thought the same thing...that he was looking to form a band!

Haha! No, this is not to form a musical group, it's to form a group of people to meet up once a month and talk tiki...and of course, drink.

[ Edited by: UnkleFunky 2013-09-18 13:09 ]

Your going to need a Tiki Bar to go to
Purple Orchid may be in proximity to you.

I wholeheartedly support anyone wanting to do this, because this is
what Tiki is suppose to be all about, being social, cocktails & fun.

J

The Hale Hawaii is in Torrance, ATP.

Dr. Z has organized a few Tiki meet-ups there earlier this year. :)

Well if their weird hours don't get in the way
John-O has a place for you UnkleFunky.

Im out in the valley, but Im willing to make the short drive out for meetings and such!!! count me in to host too if need be!!! :)
pele paul

Hale Hawaii is rarely open. I have been there on Thursday evenings and it seems to be open pretty consistently then, but other times I usually find it closed.

The South Bay's Tiki (and tiki-ish) Bars are:

• Purple Orchid (El Segundo)
  • Old Tony's (Redondo Beach)
  • Banzai Beach (Hermosa Beach)
  • Hale Hawaii (Torrance)

Will this "group" have a secret handshake?

Secret handshake? That may be a good idea. Haha.

Never heard of the Banzai. Must be fairly new. Old Tony's is a great spot for meeting up and it's right on the water. If you can make it out of El Segundo without getting pulled over the Purple Orchid is a wonderful bar.

All these places and ideas can be discussed at our first 'meeting'. I'm totally open to suggestions. My main goal is to get people from the South Bay (and beyond) who share our interest in everything tiki/Poly Pop together and just have a good time. Every year I attend Tiki Oasis I have to leave all my tiki friends behind until the next year. I want to keep that spirit alive - and drink.

Eric

M

On 2013-09-18 13:08, UnkleFunky wrote:
Haha! No, this is not to form a musical group, it's to form a group of people to meet up once a month and talk tiki...and of course, drink.
Then I reiterate and proliferate my statement, make sure you include good steel guitar and it'll be a SMASHING success, as the conversation will bog (or grog) down eventually, but the steel will keep it going into uncharted territory.

TM

Now I KNOW you are drunk posting, you crazy nut! :)

On 2013-09-18 09:22, UnkleFunky wrote:
The main focus of the group would be to share information on the history of poly pop culture in the South Bay through research on various tiki themed restaurants, bars and apartment complexes in and around the South Bay area.

...history?...research?.... You mean there are other things to Tiki than parties, mixology, and Tiki mug collecting!? :wink:

Very commendable, it reminds me of my early Tiki Symposiums.

M

On 2013-09-21 13:10, lucas vigor wrote:
Now I KNOW you are drunk posting, you crazy nut! :)

You're right, tiki parties never bog down!

The first topic of your new group should be "What's going on with the Redondo Beach Pier Barney West Tiki?"

The Facebook page seems abandoned and there hasn't been any news for a while. :roll:

Wow! I never knew that existed! Let me look into it and see what I can find out.

Pages: 1 16 replies