Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Proof that things were more fun during the jazz age...

Pages: 1 5 replies

TM
K

That's cool. I never realized there was a "visual component" to Rey's talking steel guitar. Oddly, while he promoted the steel guitar w/ his big band & recorded an beautiful Hawaiian LP (Aa I Remember Hawaii), contrary to what the LP label notes say, it's reported by several folks close to him that he absolutely HATED Hawaiian music...:)

Paradise is a state of mind.

[ Edited by: Kaiwaza 2013-09-19 16:59 ]

The sonovox gimmick was also used in the movie "You'll Find Out" with Kay Kyser, Bela Lugosi, & Peter Lorre.
It was a device that strapped to the throat and transmitted the vibrations from your vocal chords through an electronic instrument.
This idea later evolved into the Heil talk-box and other similar devices popularized by Joe Walsh & Peter Frampton.
It's been said that Mr. Rey's wife was backstage voicing the words for the "Stringy" puppet.
This video has been linked to many times on the Steel Guitar Forum.
Creepy-Cool!

TM

On 2013-09-19 16:58, Kaiwaza wrote:
That's cool. I never realized there was a "visual component" to Rey's talking steel guitar. Oddly, while he promoted the steel guitar w/ his big band & recorded an beautiful Hawaiian LP (Aa I Remember Hawaii), contrary to what the LP label notes say, it's reported by several folks close to him that he absolutely HATED Hawaiian music...:)

Paradise is a state of mind.

[ Edited by: Kaiwaza 2013-09-19 16:59 ]
[/quote

I believe it. His style is very futuristic, almost synthesiser-like...total opposite to the organic sound of hawaiian steel.

From the Disney film "The Reluctant Dragon" with Robert Benchley, a demonstration of the device, but no detailed explanation of how it actually works. I like explanations, without the technical details this demo was sufficient in it's day, but it's like saying "when you flip this switch, the light in the room comes on."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blhqeWpwwkA

[ Edited by: Bruddah Bear 2013-09-20 13:27 ]

Damn that was fun......

Pages: 1 5 replies