Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Blue Orchid in Atlanta

Pages: 1 7 replies

S
Swanky posted on Mon, Jul 1, 2002 7:14 AM

I debated if this was Hukilau news, but decided it's not. It's more than that.

Kiliki discovered this weekend that there is a Hawaiiana shop opening in Little Five Points in Atlanta called the Blue Orchid. They should be in business by Hukilau.

K

Yes! I was there recently, and they were still just setting up. Nice person working there. He couldn't sell me much because he didn't have prices. The address is
1129 Euclid Ave.
Phone: 525-7261

And just down the street from there is the Junkman's Daughter, which has a lot of Tiki Farm stuff.

K

apparently they open for bidness today, I'll go by and see what the price situation is and post a review. I looked in the window yesterday and they're not packed with stuff yet, but they've got plenty of space so I'm sure they will be. Their large tikis are 2-3 footers of the type carved by that hawaiian company whose tikis are hiqh quality and generally much smaller than that...
most of this company's tikis look like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2117433462
the big kine are much more tiki shaped and involved though.

I was struck by the fact that they have a large selection of monkeypod stuff from the philippines.. you know the wood fruit, the bowls etc - never seen that in a retail store before. it looked vintage.

S

Kiliki forced her way in there and talked to the owner. They travel to Hawaii and get their stuff. Some vintage stuff as well.

K

I went by today and they still aren't finished setting up, but they've got a lot of good stuff and are getting more... As for prices, they are retail. Stuff is sold for what its worth. No deals in particular, but you don't generally see tiki gods from this company (wish I could remember the name) this high quality on ebay, and they've got a variety of great jewelry too... they'll have a lot of prints soon too... Basically its going to be a very "in" hawaiian boutique filled with stuff that's absolutely to die for - and they know it! Should do exceedingly well in Atlanta where there is plenty of money floating around.
Thanks to kiliki they're going to show their wares at the Tiki Bazaar on saturday at the hukilau, and we may be doing more in the way of partnering with them at the next hukilau... a local home base if you will.

S

What's the address? I'm unfortunately unable to attend this year's Hukilau as my wife is giving birth to a Hula baby in the next week or so, but I may be in Atlanta on business and would love to see the store.

[ Edited by: SoBeTiki on 2002-07-02 13:56 ]

K

on the main drag in little five points:
1129 Euclid Ave.
Phone: 525-7261

Quick test of email delivery; please ignore

Pages: 1 7 replies