Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

New Tiki Bar in Cleveland

Pages: 1 13 replies

M

I’m hoping there’s a TC’er in Cleveland that will post some pix of what sounds like a potential gem.
Best wishes and Mahalo to Porco.

TT

I've been in here a couple times so far. To put it simply, this is going to be great. The bar décor itself I would say is well on it's way. A lot of the décor comes from the old Cleveland Kon Tiki courtesy of Tiki David. They have bamboo, lights and even the old outrigger from there. The real strength in my opinion is the dedication and commitment they have made to providing quality authentic cocktails and the staff themselves. Their Navy Grog is the best I have had and the Mai Tai is right there. The Zombie needs a little work but they know it and are addressing it. If I had to explain the overall place I would explain it as a 60s off the main strip tiki dive bar. I only took a couple pictures worth sharing I'll get some more. Thank you and bravo to Porco!

That sounds really promising. Let's hope the place will be able to sustain itself beyond the love of the owners.

And that my next work will relativate this too often repeated, self-perpetuating cliche:
"...Tiki culture started with World War II, when romantic images of the South Sea Islands accompanied returning soldiers..."

Added to Locating Tiki...

P

hey all, porco has been a tc'r from the get go! we wouldn't imagine building a proper tiki bar without the input and knowledge contained here.

in all sincerity, you guys have been an invaluable resource and inspiration to what we've created here. from the hukilau, all the bars we've visited coast to coast, information contained here and in bigbrotiki's and the bum's books, and gracious tc'rs we've met along the way...everything and everyone has played into being a part of what we are.

extra special thanks to TIKI DAVID for his help with all things cleveland kon tiki related. with his enormous generosity and assistance, we're able to showcase some amazing artifacts from not only tiki's, but cleveland's past. also thanks to the tc'rs that have supported us since day one...POCphil, Masher88, TikiKitty, mike and marie (gorgeous pics btw), ebtiki, Tiki Toli (our first regular, and first to drink through the menu), Hale Tiki, TikiHardBop, and anyone else here we may have missed. your patronage, help, and love of this thing we call tiki is what ultimately keeps us going.

locally, the response has been nothing short of amazing. yes, we're getting the business for being the "hot new place" on the block, but folks have been extremely receptive of the concept. we're looking to be an eventual institution in cleveland, and not just the flavor of the week. with our atmosphere and commitment to quality product, i think folks will find us to be a welcome refuge from the overpriced, sexy craft cocktail establishments that have popped up as of late. we're here to provide fun, quality drinks, and an atmosphere acknowledging and celebrating tiki & poly pop's past.

again, sincerest thanks to everyone here for giving us a source to draw from for not only history, but inspiration. we hope to have you by someday, and please let us know if you're a tc'r so i can thank you in person.

cheers,

stefan

I'm glad to hear that everything is going well!

A roadtrip is in order!
As long as Pittsburghers are welcome :wink:

Sounds wonderful - like it should be: Build it and they will come ! :)

M

Tikikitty and all her friends were at Porco this week for a "girl's night". They all raved about the drinks! Mai Tai, Fog Cutter and Blue Hawaiian...top notch. Finally, Cleveland is on the map! HAHAHA!

I stopped in Friday nite w/ Tiki David. This place does it right! Top quality drinks & the ambiance is great. Just wish I could've stayed longer. Best of luck Porco!

P

I wanted to give folks a taste of Porco - Here's one of their first menu's:

I must add that this was a VERY early menu...and it's grown 4x !

BTW - Love this place, if you haven't tried it yet, you're missing out. I've been to LOADS of Tiki Bars and this place is definitely tops for drinks!

TM

On 2013-10-10 10:34, porco wrote:
hey all, porco has been a tc'r from the get go! we wouldn't imagine building a proper tiki bar without the input and knowledge contained here.

in all sincerity, you guys have been an invaluable resource and inspiration to what we've created here. from the hukilau, all the bars we've visited coast to coast, information contained here and in bigbrotiki's and the bum's books, and gracious tc'rs we've met along the way...everything and everyone has played into being a part of what we are.

extra special thanks to TIKI DAVID for his help with all things cleveland kon tiki related. with his enormous generosity and assistance, we're able to showcase some amazing artifacts from not only tiki's, but cleveland's past. also thanks to the tc'rs that have supported us since day one...POCphil, Masher88, TikiKitty, mike and marie (gorgeous pics btw), ebtiki, Tiki Toli (our first regular, and first to drink through the menu), Hale Tiki, TikiHardBop, and anyone else here we may have missed. your patronage, help, and love of this thing we call tiki is what ultimately keeps us going.

locally, the response has been nothing short of amazing. yes, we're getting the business for being the "hot new place" on the block, but folks have been extremely receptive of the concept. we're looking to be an eventual institution in cleveland, and not just the flavor of the week. with our atmosphere and commitment to quality product, i think folks will find us to be a welcome refuge from the overpriced, sexy craft cocktail establishments that have popped up as of late. we're here to provide fun, quality drinks, and an atmosphere acknowledging and celebrating tiki & poly pop's past.

again, sincerest thanks to everyone here for giving us a source to draw from for not only history, but inspiration. we hope to have you by someday, and please let us know if you're a tc'r so i can thank you in person.

cheers,

stefan

good stuff! The world needs more people like you!

That logo is fantastic. Love it!

On 2013-11-17 14:48, POCphil wrote:

Pages: 1 13 replies