Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Router Carving Day-October 19th - 2013 - Vista,CA

Pages: 1 12 replies

Hey everyone. Its that time of year again!!

Bust out your routers and join us at the South Pacific Room for a nice day of router carving.
South Pacific Room on Facebook

Newbies and experienced folk are welcome. Space is limited.

The cost of the event is $20 if you bring your own router AND bits ($20 includes wood, lunch, paint, supplies etc)
If you are arriving without any tools then the cost if $40 (so I can go buy an extra router for you to use)

Last year we all made signage for everyones home bar.
Router Day 2012

This year we are making a mask or mask(s) if you have enough time.

We are limited to 8 students (if you bring ALL of your own stuff then we can fit more)

We celebrate the day in an Octoberfest style with german beer, Brats, Kraut, Potato Salad and Pie

Beers will flow once the router work is done.

Please PM me to attend.

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2013-10-06 15:20 ]

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2013-10-10 08:13 ]

I wish I could make it. It was a lot of fun last time.

[ Edited by: MaukaHale 2013-10-06 12:36 ]

J

I wished I was about 2000 miles closer! I've gotten a lot of info from your posts and thread from the past carving day. Looking forward to more pics and info from afar.

Here is the mask I made using the info I picked up from your thread from last year's workshop:

Thanks for doing these workshops even if I can't make it.

[ Edited by: jimsflies 2013-10-06 13:22 ]

T

Derek,

I bummed!! Leaving on vacation that day. Last year was great. I had awesome time. Anyone thing about attending should do it. Derek puts on a great class & Roxanne's potato salad is killer.

Thanks to those that have reached out to me regarding the event. There is still room and the weather that weekend looks like its going to be nice.

Just to be clear... we are not going to be carving the mask you see in these photos. Its for ANY mask design that you choose (granted it needs to be router carvable)

Dont be shy. Come out and join us. If cost is an issue please let me know. We run these events to break even (The routers I puchase for the class are $100 each).

Last year was a good time. Hope to see you here.

Derek

TM

Monkeyman, I might do this one year.

Anyway, this is a really cool thing you are doing for the tiki community.

:)

Hey Students :)

Please prepare your line drawing no wider than 11 inches wide. It can be as tall as you like. The wood we will be using is only 11" wide.

Your mask needs to fit in these dimensions.

If you have questions about how to design your mask please reach out to me. You need to make sure that your design can be accomplished with a router.

MM

Aloha, Derek! I would love to attend this event again. It was a blast last year! I really enjoy the carving I made last year. But I have been doing too much tiki and not enough with the wife or the garden. I know everyone will have a wonderful time and will love what they make with your help.

Moai Mike

T

Derek, sorry to miss this one (as we discussed at the Bali Hai) but would love to meet up for another one- unfortunately I'm working all day (and night) on the 19th. Would love to take a raincheck, or come up some other day!

David / Tiki Ano

I wish I could make it to your router carving day. I do want to thank you for doing this type of event.
I was drawn to the tiki world by the Tiki Chops, Clay Jams, and Lamp Days, but those type of collaborative
creative events seem to have been replaced by more profit-motivated gatherings.

Once again, thank you for doing this and I hope to make it down to your area someday.

I hosted 2 lamp days and had a great time but I had to prepare a month in advance and spend tons of money up front. It was fun but family obligations get in the way. Router day requires very little prep for us and the money we spend is generally on tools that we can use again at a future lamp day.

Hopefully someday we will get all the folks who say they would "love to attend" to come on down and hang out with us.

Its not a party at all but its very satisfying.

cheers

C

Hey MMan, is this event happening?

I can't come either but I think it's a truly great and amazing thing you are doing for the whole Tiki Community! Thank you!

Will there be pictures here on Tiki Central of the fun & art created? Can't wait!

Aloha,
Cammo

Pics are on Facebook.

Thanks to everyone who attended :). Good times had by all.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.597872336936243.1073741829.407504155973063&type=1

Pages: 1 12 replies