Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Porco Lounge & Tiki Room, Cleveland, OH (bar)

Pages: 1 10 replies

Name:Porco Lounge & Tiki Room
Type:bar
Street:2527 W. 25th St
City:Cleveland
State:OH
Zip:44113
Phone:

Description:
Web site: http://www.porcolounge.com

Furnishings and decor from Sheraton-Cleveland Kon Tiki, Chin Tiki, Mai Kai.

[ Edited by: mike and marie 2013-10-06 18:00 ]

P

I've been a regular here since it was a dream...
The atmosphere is perfect. Warm, quiet, welcoming. The drinks are respected and never sloppy. A very creative drink menu with everything from subtle coffee concoctions to painkillers in all shades of amnesia.

Stefan is working getting more food on the menu, so it's always changing.

Finally! Tiki in Cleveland.

Phil
ClevelandMoto

T

Hi all

Thinking of heading over to Porco tomorrow.
If any TCers want to meet up, drop me a PM!

Time for a trip report ... we came out the other night to see how things were going. Two bartenders, and they were constantly busy all night, so we sat at the bar to watch.

People were loving the cocktails. It looked like the drink of the evening was the Suffering Bastard -- it seemed like almost every other person in the house was getting one ... and two ...

But hey, this was Fat Tuesday, so to us it seemed a Hurricane was in order:

It was very well made, in a Pat O'Briens glass to boot, and served with the umbrella blown out by the wind of the "hurricane" -- a nice touch that was new to us. You might say just a tad more appealing than what Wikipedia says is now a typical hurricane cocktail served in New Orleans!

Sampling a Test Pilot and a Planter's Punch for baseline, we saw the classic tiki cocktails weren't shabby, either:

(Marie obviously couldn't wait for the picture before sampling the Planter's Punch!) Behind the bar we spotted what seemed a dozen different types of bitters, and sampled the homemade grenadine (a mix of syrup from the Luxardo cherries and pomegranate molasses), whose thick syrupy consistency was unlike other grenadines we know ... the stuff should be bottled and sold.

They've also been building up the rum reserves.

Stefan gave us an update, and before you know it we were booked on a rum flight...

Gosling's Family Reserve Old Rum (a dark golden rum from Bermuda and a complex sipper with caramel undertones)

Maggie's Farm White Rum / Queen's Shore (a new rum distiller -- from Pittsburgh! -- with a sweet butterscotch taste)

Portside Distillery Spiced Rum (a new rum distiller -- from Cleveland! -- with a Christmas-beer gingery feel to it)

Portside's Special Edition Christmas Spirit rum (outdoorsy and piney)

Bacardi Reserva Limitada Founder's Blend Puerto Rican Rum (originally created as a personal blend for the Bacardi family, in honor of Bacardi patriarch Don Facundo Bacardi Masso ... this was aged oak and velvet all the way!)

If you've been around you just might recognize some of the old tiki establishments on the swizzle sticks in the bartop:

Also noticed some new additions to the decor, including this huge tiki guy:

Awesome! Love Porco, glad it's doing well. I need to get up there soon for another visit.

That huge tiki is from the Cleveland Kon Tiki. It's from the estate of Tiki DAVID. Couldn't imagine a better place for it. Party on, Porco!

It looks like it has gotten more tiki since I visited in September. Stefan is a great host, and the drinks are amazing.

They've gotten a lot more tiki even since then, including Surf Rider, the second of the two outriggers from the Cleveland Sheraton Kon-Tiki!

Clam Jam this past autumn was hands down the best clambake anytime anywhere ("and we've been to a few, honey!"), with a set of drinks created just for the event -- we wonder, could this have been the very first mingling of "clambake" and "tiki"?

In with the clams and seafood go homemade herbed butter,

lots of excellent seasonings,

...and three kinds of booze!

lobster

the master shucker - proprietor Stefan shucking oysters for the crowds

General manager Shannon being presented one of the special libations

And WCSB's Max Payola DJed the event with lots of cool retro lounge & exotica ... this led into Shipwreck'd, a new monthly event which is becoming Cleveland's Tiki Central night

P

Hey all! Our friends over at Tales of the Cocktail we kind enough to do a little write-up on us, and thought it would be a good to link up here as it gives a pretty good background on some of our collection. In the initial interview I went in depth with all that have helped us here, and even a few members were named in the story. We continually thank you all for being an invaluable resource to making this dream come true!

https://talesofthecocktail.com/destinations/how-polynesian-paradise-ended-cleveland-ohio

Nicely done. Continue to share the tiki love, and never lower your standards!

some compatriots and i visited Porco this past Saturday, and enjoyed the hell out of it!

very well done, all. the drinks were overall phenomenal - i think the Painkiller #3 was my favorite.

my one "huh?" moment was the bowl drink - it was a metal pineapple with a bottle of prosecco, which was good, but i was expecting a volcano bowl with flaming 151 in it. perhaps they don't do the flames because of fire code...

so, for the drinks, the decor and music, and the food, and a friendly staff, i highly recommend!

j$$$$$$$$$

Pages: 1 10 replies