Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Night Moves in Huntington Beach?

Pages: 1 9 replies

TM

Question for the OC Contigent....does anyone remember where the infamous night club "Night Moves" was located?

I saw the Swamp Zombies (With I believe, Shag on guitar) in the late 80's at that club.....

According to

L.A. Times Article

5902 Warner Ave

Was in the center (far right corner) at Warner & Springdale St.in H.B.
Started to have punk acts in 1984

Here it is today:

BB

I saw many shows there back when the good bands were either there or at Bogarts in Long beach or both. I was there when Gherkin Raucous brought the owner on stage to sing along to Bob Seger's Night Moves and he was hit in the head with a bottle from the crowd. Tragic but yet… :lol:

And if we go to 5902 Warner Ave. now, we find Huntington Beach Massage. What would the late Pat Brown have done if he was around?

TM

Hell, the better question would be, "what would CHUCK TATUM" have done?"

Chuck tatum = Tiki.....we all know that.

But did you know that Juke Joints are Tiki?

See that feller holding the gun on the left?....once, back in 1948, Vic bergeron was travelling through Mississipi, and got lost down some rural back road. He passed by that Juke Joint, asked the feller with the gun for directions, then got back in his car and left.

There is your connection. That's why Juke Joints are now considered to be the same as tiki bars.

(Remember...it's ALL good, and it's ALL tiki!) :)

http://soundcloud.com/lucas-vigor/sets/set-3/

I AM A SOCIOPATH!

[ Edited by: Lucas Vigor 2013-10-08 14:39 ]

TM

Here is some information on the Swamp Zombies...in many ways, a pre-neo-tiki band....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swamp_Zombies

There is a funny personal story attached to this crazy thread. it was 1986, and I was on leave from the military, and hooked up with some high school buddies (In a wierd twist of fate, one of those buddies now lives near SHAG.)

We decided to go out and catch some bands. Night moves was the place, the band was the Swamp Zombies. Me and my buds were getting piss-drunk and obnoxious, and heckling the band something awful...during a break, the singer of the band (who played a green upright bass as well) came down and sat with us, had a few beers. Turned out to be the best way to get us to stop the heckling.

My three buddies and I got "picked up" by three girls, and we left with them. Suffice it to say, after I sobered up I had one of those WTF moments and left....walked home. I lived in north orange at the time, so as you can tell a walk home from Night moves to there was about 20 miles....at 3:00 in the AM that's a tough walk!

Night Moves 88-ish?

Knew that place well.

Is that Mick, Ben?

On 2013-10-13 00:12, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Is that Mick, Ben?

Frank Martinez

Pages: 1 9 replies