Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Buying expedition to PNG collector in Bloomington, Indiana in March

Pages: 1 12 replies

S
Swanky posted on Wed, Oct 9, 2013 8:54 AM

I have been buying PNG stuff from this family since 2003.

An anthropologist who has been traveling around Polynesia since the 60s, he has been bringing back items to sell to fund his trips. The business has gotten bigger and bigger and they bring back a cargo container full at a time.

The next shipment should be available in Indiana March. I am planning to be there on a Saturday and spend some time shopping with him and wanted to open it up for others to join me. His prices are great and makes even better deals in person.

If you are interested, I'd suggest following this thread and dropping a note here as well.

There is a craft cocktail bar in Bloomington we may hit that night or Friday.

Open for ideas.

We need a head/car count and will make a meeting place to get us all there, etc. We can't nail down a date until the shipment clears customs.

UPDATE: Working on April 12th visit.

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

[ Edited by: Swanky 2014-03-07 09:43 ]

[ Edited by: Swanky 2014-03-07 09:44 ]

[ Edited by: swanky 2014-03-12 05:47 ]

Wow, talk about globalization of trade. Some island native carves something and a few months later it ends up in someone's living room or office building in Chicago.

Q
Q-tiki posted on Wed, Oct 9, 2013 7:58 PM

Depending on the date, I am definitely prepared to get in on that action.

I am very stoked about the possibilities.

S

He says the villages they go to, in a big year, see 30 tourists. He has brought back some crazy big pieces, many of them in museums around the country. Lodge poles 15 feet tall, canoes 12 feet long a slit drum the size of a VW Beetle. He also has other island arts. I have a spear at home from the Remmel Islands, which I had never heard of.

Once the shipment clears customs, we'll have a date when it will be there and we can visit. I'll post here and we can pick a Saturday to meet up in Indiana.

I'm in! (depending upon dates)

GK

S
Swanky posted on Fri, Mar 7, 2014 9:42 AM

Okay, the shipment got help up in customs. It was released and should be in Indiana today.

I will be in FL for the weekend of April 24th. I would like to get up there fairly soon. If you want to be a part of this, please post here, or better yet, email me. I will not give out his address here so you will need to coordinate with me to see him.

S

Trying to zero in on April 12th. Waiting to hear from a couple of people to make sure.

FYI: I am 5 hours away. I have made this as a day-trip several times. Head out early and come back late.

His prices are very good and you will have a lot of choices in type and size for under $100. You could fill a truck with décor if you chose. Canoes, slit drums, ancestral figures, story boards, some weapons, masks, etc.

I'll update here, but email me to get the details of the plan, where to meet and when, etc. We'll likely be there Friday night. My daughter is in Bloomington and we'll visit with her some. Likely head to see him 11-12. That gives a good amount of time to look around, buy and pack up and get home.

N

those pieces are fantastic

S

I will be contacting everyone who has contacted me soon to nail down the plan. Please get with me, preferably by email to be part of this trip.

I will also bring with me a case of Mini Mystery Bowls as gifts for those who make the trek.

Also, if you can't make this exact date, let me know if you want to plan your own trip. I can get you in touch.

On our way back we will be stopping at Brian's Botanicals near Louisville to pick up a batch of tropical plants for the gardens.

Someone help me here. Did I read about this in Imbibe or Mutineer or Garden and Gun? Anyway, The Rail is Bloomington's Craft Cocktail bar. I don't think I will be able to check it out this trip, but if you can, let us know how it fares.

S
Swanky posted on Tue, Apr 1, 2014 8:45 AM

BUMP.

A week from Saturday, so email me if you plan to join us so we can coordinate.

E

Have a good time! I wish I was able to join you guys. I cherish the pieces I picked up a few years back. Those of you who go will simply be amazed! I walked around with my jaw on the ground in absolte awe of all the treasures to be seen.

S
Swanky posted on Mon, Apr 7, 2014 4:10 PM

Last call. Get in contact with me to attend this Saturday!

S

Pictures soon. A good trip. So much stuff!

For those interested in buying, his prices are good and he'll deal if you buy in volume.

His Ebay store is HERE.

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

[ Edited by: Swanky 2014-04-13 07:52 ]

Pages: 1 12 replies