Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Historical Dinner Club : The Kahiki October 22

Pages: 1 6 replies

I saw this on Facebook and would love to attend.

Maybe others who are local would be into it.

Put on by the Columbus Historical Society

The Historical Dinner Club will feature a favorite Columbus restaurant, reimagined for one night only by Chef Alana Shock of Alana's Food & Wine. Enjoy an evening filled with history and memories as we pay tribute to one of the most famed restaurants of Columbus. The series will begin with The Kahiki.

We will open with a talk by CHS Board President Doug Motz about the Kahiki, there will be artifacts on display, Chef Alana will talk about her inspiration for the menu, and each guest will take home a special surprise!

The Kahiki dinner event will be Tuesday, October 22nd, starting at 6pm. The menu will be posted soon!

All dinners will be held at Alana's Food & Wine, located at 2333 North High Street, Columbus, Ohio 43202. The restaurant is closed to the public on Tuesdays - this will be a private and intimate dining experience! Alana's has been a gourmet food destination for over a decade, focusing on local and seasonal ingredients. For more information about the restaurant, visit Alanas.com.

Reservations are $125 per person, with proceeds benefiting the Columbus Historical Society. Reservations are limited to 40.

You can join the group here :
To follow the Historical Dinner Club on Facebook, visit Facebook/HistoricalDinnerClub

If anyone goes please report back

T

Thanks for posting that info SandraDee, We did kinda want to go
to this event.
Still can't see the menu for the event.
I am guessing that Jeff from the FOM may be there, but not sure.
The last night party for the Kahiki was AWESOME, that was $100.00 per
person.
Alana's Food & Wine is a place we like so would be good I would guess.
And the charge looks to be about the same as two drinks at Three Dots and a dash. :)

S

OakTiki and I will be coming in from Maryland for it.

We'll see what we can do about taking some pix and eventually (won't be immediately) reporting back. Alana is awesome, and the CHS is well worth supporting, whether folks can make the event or not.

From what I've seen online, it appears the event is sold out at this point.

I saw the menu on the Facebook page but I didn't see any photos from the event.

Was anyone able to take any ?

I was curious as to what items they had there from the Kahiki itself.

I would guess Sabina for photo's.
They had Sweet and sour Ham Steak? :roll:
Dam I would hope you could do better than that chef.
Thank god they had a chef to figure out that culinary masterpiece.

If that was the food, then the items they had there from the Kahiki itself
was a book of matches, not the cool click top one either.

Would have been nice to see Sabina again though.

A

I did go to the dinner. I was a little disappointed, though. The restaurant is well known in Columbus for high quality, inventive cuisine. What we ate was a small step up from garden variety chinese cuisine. The tiki drinks were downright awful, and they served wine with dinner...

I expected more for the $125 a person I paid for the dinner...

T

Good to get a report back.
I wanted to go to this Blake but after reading the article that the person
who gave this event wrote I felt that it would be weak.
Most of the things from his article really sounded like they came from here.
I hear all the time about how the Grass shack burned down on Mr. Sapps birthday
had I not talked to Mr. Sapp AND printed it here that may still be an unknown fact.
Good thing you were there to relay some of the stories I was able to tell you of the Kahiki.
Heck you even have some of the Kahiki old drink recipes so you would not like the drinks
they made you.:wink:

The Kahiki We knew at the end did not have high quality, inventive cuisine in fact
it was known for it's ok at best food really, The drinks were good IF Jim made them.
But Skip was the bartender that was most loved and had he poured me the worst drink
ever I would have thanked him and tipped him well, the outrageous and fun person that he
was is what we (and most people) went to the bar for.

Should add that the place did have a good reputation when Mr. Sapp and Henry owned the Kahiki.

Do wish more people would share what they know of tiki.
The events, tales of the old places, and items they may find that may be rare or old
here on TC.
The new info in tiki is slowing down, but there are still new things like this event that
could be posted here on TC.
TC has become a site that people go to only sell their event, eBay sale, ect...

Too bad, pay it forward people.

Pages: 1 6 replies