Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

LA to Santa Barbara and back

Pages: 1 8 replies

D

We are going to be heading out from LA to Santa Barbara to do the Urban wine tour and on the way back I was hoping to hit a tiki bar coming back to LA

So the question is where to go

I have been to TV's and Tiki Ti's and Tiki Ti' would be too crowded for our group not to be there at open and we will probably arrive during prime hours

Tonga Hut seemed a logical choice but I have no idea if they make proper drinks or not, the website makes them seem pretty legit talking about making drinks from the Grog Log etc

Is there any other places I should look to check out

You can try the new "VenTiki" in Ventura
it is on the way back from S.B.

F

There's also Tiki No in the Valley (Toluca). 4657 Lankershim Blvd

Tonga Hut is definitely legit and recommended. Tiki No is a beautiful place, but the drinks are terrible (IMHO).

I read this article and thought/hoped that the drinks at Tiki No were now on the "most improved list." Anyone been there lately who can confirm or deny?

Bartenders Jason Bran and Damian Windsor Redo Tiki No
Warwick coming soon to Sunset; Tiki No gets a revamped drink list.

Remember back in August when bartenders Damian Windsor and Jason Bran announced their surprising departure from Roger Room, a bar they had helped turn into a cocktail destination after four years? Back then they were so secretive about their post-RR plans. Turns out they left to go consult on a couple of projects for Jeffrey Best, the restaurateur and events planner.

Best is opening up a new nightclub called Warwick in the old Club Lingerie space on Sunset Boulevard. And for it Bran and Windsor have created a cocktail program which boasts the use of market-driven cocktail ingredients and is said to “revolutionize bottle service.” Ooh! Previews for the new venue will start next week but stay tune for more details about that drink menu.

The second project will please cocktail enthusiasts, tiki fans, and NoHo denizens alike. The boys have redone the cocktail program at Tiki No for Best. “We really put a lot of thought into what the cocktails should be about,” said Bran. “They’re delicious, so the staff is really proud of what they’re serving, bartenders are really into it, and each cocktail has a special tiki touch, whether it is served in a classic tiki mug or has a special garnish, each drink has its own personality. It’s fun, it’s playful, and it embraces tiki fully and completely.”

Their menu takes Tiki drinks to the next level with its use of high-end spirits and liqueurs as well as fresh juices. Surprisingly, however, the prices are still affordable only going up to $11, and will go even lower to $6-$8 for the daily happy hour from 5 until 7 p.m.

Here’s a look at some of the drinks off the new 13-cocktail menu which also features classic Tiki drinks like the Mai Tai to Tiki No originals like the Toasted Marshmallow Swizzler. Keep in mind when looking at the actual menu the ingredients aren’t listed because, according to Damian, “in keeping with menu lore, some drinks don’t have full ingredient listings because the bartenders used to omit ingredients to keep other bartenders from stealing their work.”

Chief Lapu Lapu: Caruba dark and white rum, orange juice, lemon juice, simple syrup, and red passionfruit syrup

Zombie: rum, lime and red grapefruit juice

Coconut Mojito: Cruzan coconut rum, mint leaves, lime juice, simple syrup, coconut water

There will also be a frozen drink dispensing machine, which uses coconut water instead of plain water for a different flavor, pouring frozen Pina Colada and a Tiki Appletini with mango rum, Apple Pucker, and lime.

Tiki No, 4657 Lankershim Blvd., San Fernando Valley, 818-766-0116.

Buzzzzzz, ooooooooof and ugh

Those drinks mentioned at the end of that article sound horrible.
And are far from tiki drinks.

Jeff btd

Now now, Jeff!

It's ALL tiki and it's ALL good!

Remember, being a purist makes you an evil sociopath!

Those drinks are no different then the myriad of rock bands out there calling themselves "tiki".....

just saying.....

:)

Who wouldn’t want a “tiki drink” from a machine? And frozen Too! Too bad I don’t have electricity-gotta make mine by hand,including crushing the store bought ice by hand with an Ice o matic
Cheers

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-10-20 21:46 ]

Best places by far are Tiki Ti and Tonga Hut(make sure you go when Marie is working as her drinks are worth It!)

Pages: 1 8 replies