Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Tiki Tonie's shrunken monkey head mug. With Pics NEED HELP! Please!

Pages: 1 11 replies

Hi Everyone!

This is my second mug. It's a shrunkin monkey head called Taylor's Revenge (tell me if you get the title). I have a big problem!!!! When I glazed it, some of the holes that I plan on threading got plugged up. Any suggestions on how to unplug them??? You advise is very much needed and appreciated!!!!

Thanks,
Tiki Tonie

And here's another set different colors. You can see the tags better on these

Yes, that Wendy's awesome Sacramento Tiki Crawl Mug in the background

It's been a long time, but I'm back. I tried to continue form my previous post, but it didn't seem to stick. I got a lot of help on Tiki Central with creating my first tiki mug. Don't know how I could have done it without you. Since I've been away, I actually finished my molds and have a glazed set that I'd love some feedback on. I'm having trouble finding the right glaze. Any ideas or suggestions would be awesome!!!

Special thanks to Wendy again!! for reminding me what a great forum Tiki Central is to connect with like minded folks. It was so great to finally meet you and I love my Sacramento Tiki Crawl mug so much!!!! My husband and I can't wait to get to know everyone and start having some Tiki Parties at our Palapaville (we haven't thought of a good name yet for our tiki back yard lol)

So, here are my mugs, what do you think? I'll post a pic of them before I fired them to spark your memory of me lol.

Tiki Tonie

[ Edited by: Tiki Tonie 2013-10-13 22:47 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Tonie 2013-10-13 22:48 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Tonie 2013-10-13 22:58 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Tonie 2013-10-13 23:07 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Tonie 2013-10-13 23:08 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Tonie 2013-10-18 00:02 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Tonie 2013-10-18 00:03 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Tonie 2013-10-18 00:17 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Tonie 2013-10-23 09:35 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Tonie 2013-10-24 10:18 ]

Tiki Tonie, I think you are doing a great job of sculpting and you used good glaze choices. I too was very happy to meet you and your husband in person. We'll have fun times in the future.

I'll have crawl photos up later today. Right now we are on our way to have flu shots. Cheers, Wendy

Tonie I like them ~ nice sculpts, nice texturing, nice glazes. Looks like they are a matte finish on the outside, those always seem a bit more interesting to me. I can't see what the dark patch is in the center, is that a little figure?

I'm not sure if I'm working the site right. I need some guidance on what to do about my shrunken monkey head mug aka Taylor's Revenge. When I glazed it, I plugged up the holes for the thread and bones. Is there any way to unplug them that won't damage the mug?

Hi Tiki Tonie, I did the same thing. We bought a dremmel with a ceramic bit. Even still it took a very long time to drill through the glaze. It is the same as drilling glass. It gets super hot turning the ceramic red. I had some that worked and some that cracked while drilling. It is less work to start over.

It's the kind of mistake you'll only do one time. I have 20 Tiki Bob necklaces to do and I'm going to be really careful.

I tried to use your photo links and it didn't work. Are you having trouble with the
Add Images To Your Post NEW! just below this white page?

It was so good to meet you at the crawl. We'll look forward to the next time. Cheers, Wendy

Wendy's right - it's much easier to clean those out BEFORE firing than after :D When I did mine I drilled it at the sink under a steady drip of water to keep it cool. But you have to be sure to do it in a way that doesn't get water in your Dremel. Electricity and water done mix :o

Thanks Wendy and Mad Dog Mike! Looks like I'm getting a drummel. Here's the pic below...I hope lol

Better pic of the tags on the mugs

My Shrunkin Monkey head mug aka Taylor's Revenge prototype

Taylor's Revenge is a great one: please post pics when you get it completed. Making any more?

Like Taylor's Revenge. I see holes but no stitching, does that mean you're gonna use some thread to stitch it up after the last firing? I like that look, you can add some interesting beads too. Remember that the mug has to be washed so use durable additions, no jute or cotton string, no wooden beads.

T

Awesome shrunken head mug tiki tonie. Let me know when you have one for sale, I'd love to buy one.

Lovin the shrunken head put a smile on my face. :)

B
Bowana posted on Sun, Nov 3, 2013 8:57 AM

Great idea for a mug!
Hope you were able to resolve the hole issue.

Bowie

Pages: 1 11 replies