Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

1943 nude print

Pages: 1 15 replies

Went to an estate sale this morning and just picked up an exquisite 16X20 print of a Hawaiian beauty kneeling on a grass mat, entitled "Leilani."
The signature is difficult to understand, but I believe it says "TJ Mundortt, Honolulu-'43-" There is a printed copyright in the bottom corner, "1943 Kahuna Kraft."
Does anyone know about this artist or print?( I could email an image if you want to see it.) Please fill me in so I can know background of this new item in my
collection.

That's something I did a while back...(I'm immortal, too, didn't you know?)

TB

On 2003-07-12 23:54, Basement Kahuna wrote:
That's something I did a while back...(I'm immortal, too, didn't you know?)

Well, well, well, you' do stand up comedy as well...or is it sit down comedy????
Thanks for the chuckle!

Nice find! I beleive that the Artist is "Mundorff" that's about all I know, hope it helps...
Aloha,
:tiki:

Sounds cool Bree.
Are we gonna get to see it?
KG

Would I be breaking any rules by showing the undressed wahine???
I tried to include it in my original post but everything got dumped immediately. I guess I'm not savy with the secret ritual of posting photos. I'll email it to you Geoff......

On 2003-07-14 10:35, Tiki Royale wrote:
Nice find! I beleive that the Artist is "Mundorff"

Many thanks! Now I can research it better!

G
GECKO posted on Mon, Jul 14, 2003 5:05 PM

wana sell it? The artist is Ted Mundorff. He did mainley tropical Hawaiian flowers. He was artist here on Oahu.

She's knealing on a lahala mat with I tink a banann leaf behind her with also a sun...sound about right?

I collect some of his work as well as Tip Freeman and Hale Pua. I like da diamond head paintings as well as da wahines. I've been looking fo dat print fo sometime now.

If you don't want to sell it no worries, i jus gotta keep looking and enjoy your print.

Aloha

TB

Gecko, you handsome devil, you described the print precisely!!
Even though you have the power to charm me into selling it, I'm going to keep it for now . I want to hang it between my August Holland and Hukilau '03 prints. However, if I change my mind, you'll be the first to know!!!!

[ Edited by: Tiki Bree on 2003-07-14 17:16 ]

G
GECKO posted on Mon, Jul 14, 2003 5:30 PM

Hey good lookin! I read da name wrong on who did da post....I didn't know it was da beutiful wahine from da hukilau! udda wise I would have tried to put da "swoon" on ya...although you put the swoon on me at da Hukilau. No worries fo not sellin'um, I still tink you wun hot mama.

alohaz

TB

Yes, Geoff, that's the one!!! Thank you!!! (Gecko did you see the auction???)

G

ya dats it. This will go up in price because of the Koa frame to. Thanks for posting that Geoff. I can't compete with ebay bidders a whole lot.

aloha

Gecko,
I know, I know... I thought about not posting the auction cause I didn't want to make someone angry that was hoping no one would notice it, but the painting already had quite a few bids.
Let me know if you find any cheap Leeteg's.
KG

G
GECKO posted on Tue, Jul 15, 2003 2:51 PM

"Let me know if you find any cheap Leeteg's.
KG"

HAHAHAHAHA! HO!! You funny!! CHEAP Leeteg's!!
dats like trying to find a cheap Bently fully loaded!

I do have a few fake Leetegs....those weren't even cheap.

I paid about $300 for an authentic copy from the Davis Gallery, so I know what your talking about. What did you think of those nudes in the Mai-Kai? Pretty choice, eh.

Pages: 1 15 replies