Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

JOHN-O's TC outing to Acabar in Hollywood, Wed Nov 13th

Pages: 1 13 replies

J

Barcopa in Santa Monica is opening early at 8pm just for us this Thursday, Oct 24th !!

Hope to see you there at 2810 Main St, Santa Monica.

Some of us will be meeting for Happy Hour eats at the historic Galley just down the street at 7pm.

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2013-11-05 11:40 ]

J

Tonight !! :)

About a half-dozen people told me they'll be showing up a the Galley at 7pm. I'll be there at 6:30pm if anyone wants to get an earlier start. If you don't see Tiki peeps in the front bar, check the back patio. Bring a jacket, it gets cool near the beach.

Looks like you had a good time, saw those pics on FB.

J

Yes, thanks to everyone who schleped out to the Westside. :)

Barcopa didn't have a Tiki so I donated this one which was hand carved by a native Hawaiian at the International Market Place (actually I think he was really Filipino trying to pass, haha).

Now Barcopa can claim they're a REAL Tiki bar !!

Thanks for the invite John-O! It was a ton of fun, always fun to visit with friends. Barcopa was pleased to have us join them and were very gracious hosts. Although not a Tiki Bar, even though it says Tiki on the building and granted, John -O has now supplied them with their first tiki so there is a Tiki in the building now. Real cool of you John by the way and he even walked home to get it? When Barcopa chose to revamp their menu all the cocktails are of the exotic family, interesting. The manager said they are trying to convince the owners to redecorate and thatch it out making it an authentic tiki bar however it did not seem to be a serious topic. For those who haven't been there, it's more of a mid century-Hollywood Regency decor. I think it's to their advantage being left that way with some nice touches and some help it could be a true diamond. Barcopa also has very cool little spaces like the round room we all sat in for example.
I Loved the Galley! I want to go back soon! Thanks for a good night all!

J

We had fun at Barcopa...

Let's try it again on Wed, Nov 13th at Acabar at 8pm.

A very crafty cocktail menu, they have a 1934 Don's Zombie and several rum punches !!

I hope to see New England Tiki celebrity, Big Kahuna, joining us. :)

Acabar is at 1510 N Stanley Ave (at the corner of Sunset Bl in Hollywood, they have valet).

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2013-11-05 09:56 ]

J
JOHN-O posted on Wed, Nov 6, 2013 8:49 AM

Next week for Acabar, Wed Nov 13th.

Here's your chance to wear your fez in the correct cultural context !! :)

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2013-11-06 08:53 ]

Better watch out for these guys!

Looks like I'm in!

I'm going, unless the invite didn't include (or was meant to specifically exclude) me and my fez!

Alert! John-O just spoke with the folks at Acabar and it appears that there was a misunderstanding. They will NOT be able to accommodate our group as there is a private party occupying the lounge tonight. That said, we will be rescheduling this event. Thanks!

Well, that certainly explains a few things!

J

Sorry if this inconvenienced anyone. I was able to contact most of those people that I knew who were coming about the conflict.

I confirmed with Acabar earlier in the week that Wed was available only to call that day and have them tell me the lounge was booked for a private party. :(

S

I'm just glad I wasn't wearing an aloha shirt and fez! I got in though and it does look like a cool spot for a meet up. See ya next time.

Pages: 1 13 replies