Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

(CAUTION: SPOILERS) Pirates of the Caribbean - the analysis

Pages: 1 21 replies

K

FYI, the piratical experts at pyracy pub have a thing or two to say about the greatest pirate movie of all time (perhaps):
http://pyracy.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=4&t=251&s=13623375567604bb6ccc7d0810a76757

DEUS - Philosophy Forum
http://deus.org

[ Edited by: kahukini on 2003-07-12 21:42 ]

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2003-07-14 13:52 ]

The movie was pretty good ... I really enjoyed it!

We (Mrs. Boo and I) really enjoyed the flick. Don't get to play hookie and date day too much. I'm guessing that Mr. Depp hung out with Keith Richards for a while to get his act down. The "voice and gestures were Richards to the tee!" Even the eye liner! The only thing that I thought that was out of place was the "Palapa" ( a little too clean for that era, something you'd see in Mex.) on the dock that they blew up. Otherwise( minus 2 seconds), it was a killer flick!!! Two thumbs up your arse!! Arggggggggggggg!!!

I read that Depp based the character off of Keith Richards and cartoon skunk Pepe LaPew.

Wow! Very cool! Pepe la Pew ? I'd like to see a R rated version of this flick! It would be out of control! Arggggg!

oooo, ma cherie, my lettle turtle dove, je t'aime ....

Not really a "fan" of pirates myself.
BUT my 5 year old son and I enjoyed it very much....

Did the monkey have a name?
(That's a phrase you don't hear often)

The monkey was named Jack. There was a joke about it in the movie.

~Hanford

Well, you've all convinced me to take my nephew to see it. He's a little scardy cat though. When I took him to Dland a few years back, he refused to open his eyes in the Pirates ride after the first drop. The movie sounds like it could be fun...Arrrrrggggg!

.tonya.

S

On 2003-07-13 12:12, hanford_lemoore wrote:
The monkey was named Jack. There was a joke about it in the movie.

~Hanford

You are right. Now I remember Capt Barbossa explains that, doesn't he? I guess a child can rob one of their memory.

S

I was wondering about the kid factor. My daughter Fiona is 5 and is insisting on seeing it. She watched the first Jurrasic Park at 2 and The Mummy at 3, so it sounds like she can handle this one. Looking forward to it.

DZ

While there are plenty of fight scenes and a lot of violence in general, there is a surprising lack of bloodshed.

I guess the 'undead' don't really bleed, do they...

Best bit is when he points at himself and says, simply: "Pirate".

Wot a hoot.

T

We saw it last night and enjoyed it. It seemed to be kind of a schitzoprenic movie, though. Obviously trying to be faithful to the period and at the same time nearly a spoof of pirate movies. Johnny Depp was awesome, though, and was a hoot to watch every second he was onscreen. Locations and effects were top-notch. I just wish Mr Verbinski would learn to use more fill lights.

I really liked all the references to the ride. These are ones I can remember - any more?

1. Jail scene
  2. Large-breasted woman in nightgown chased in first town attack (though this is changed in the ride now, right?)
  3. Skeleton captain drinks wine down gullet
  4. Pirate rocks back on barrel as he shoots
  5. Pile of booty in cave
  6. Theme song on desert island ("I'm gonna have my own ship one day and teach it to all the crew, and we'll all sing it together...")

A couple more things are pretty much indiginous to all pirate movies, like burning towns and ship to ship battles, so those don't count. But they did a nice job of capturing the general feel of the ride, from the revisionist comic mischief to the romanticism to the lighting and environments.

"But you're not being fair!"
"Pirate."...chuckles.

There was a shot when they're rowing into the pirate cave and they spot a (dead) skeleton with a dagger through him and a crab moving around him, on a sandy beach. This is the same as the first scene in the ride after the waterfalls.

There was also the shots of Jack steering the ship in a storm at night, and this is similar to the skeleton on the deck of the shipwreck during the storm.

There also was some dialog. During the ship-to-ship battle, Barbossa quotes some of the dialog to his men that is the same as the Pirate on the Ship in the ride: "Strike yer colors, ye bloomin' cockroaches!"

Also, in the Pirate town, the Pirate who was on the ship at the beginning says a rif on "says you, says I". I can't remember exactly what he says, but it's based off of the dark cave narration about the cursed treasure in the ride:

"No fear of evil curses says you. Properly warned ye be says I. Who knows when that evil curse will strike the greedy beholders of this cursed treasure."

Lot's of clever stuff in the movie. I'll have to see it again!

~Hanford

On 2003-07-14 13:43, Tiki-bot wrote:
I really liked all the references to the ride.

Did you find any Hidden Mickeys? 8)

I was so skeptical of Pirates when I saw the preview, and now everything that I've heard makes me want to see it immediately! And Johnny Depp is soooo pretty . . .

One more for the list:
Dog w/ keys in the jail scene

I saw it over the weekend and wanted to stay in my seat and see it again. It was pretty obvious to Chongolia that I really dug the movie prompting her to ask me "What do pirates have to do with tikis?" I thought that it was pretty funny that she thought only tikis could get that kind of giddiness out of me.
One of my favorite scenes was when the Zombie pirates "Take a walk" That under water scene with all the sharks swimmin all about was really cool. I thought some of the comedy could of been delivered a little better particularly by the secondary characters, but overall I thought it was excellent. Glad to hear the sequel has already been approved by Disney and that the most of the original actors have signed on. The website is pretty nifty too.
http://pirates.movies.go.com/
If you find all the medalions hidden on the site you get to an extra page that generates your pirate moniker and lets you design your own pirate flag.
I would love to get my flippers on one of the original cursed Aztec medalions from the movie. I checked ebay and there are a few props available but none of the medalions. I will probally have to wait until a burger joint offers them in a kid's meal. Come to think of it I never got my Finding Nemo puffer light from McDonalds. Damn my adversion to fast food!

Calico Chongolio

-- I believe that our Heavenly Father invented the monkey because he was disappointed in man."
... Mark Twain

[ Edited by: Chongolio on 2003-07-22 18:26 ]

TK

I am going to see it again tonight...yar!

I just saw it yesterday. I loved it. It was funny. I wannabe Capt. Jack Sparrow. Although Turner captured the young maiden's heart. 2 thumbs up.

Pages: 1 21 replies