Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

eBay: Fish Float light on eBay With Kahiki and trader vics swizzles.

Pages: 1 23 replies

T

Just put up a Fishing Float light on eBay.
Please take a look.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151153929374?ssPageName=STRK:MESCX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1554.l2649

EJ

Skip,

Link is not working.

T
EJ

When I hit it earlier it was not working for me. Sorry Skip.

[ Edited by: El Jefe 2013-10-28 19:51 ]

Good Luck Skip!

T

My bad El Jefe listing had not started yet.
Thanks though I had wrong start time on it.

And Thank you ATP!

S

I'd put lamp in the title and fish, not fishing. I wasn't able to find it searching eBay.

T

At $90 I think folks are thinking it's a glass float. The description says it's plastic. Someone may be really disappointed if they didn't read the description....

T

Yeah Tim I thought about that but had no room for both.
When I put in fish float light it came up for me. Not for you?

And Tikihula this light is plastic but you make it sound like a toy ball from Toys''R''Us.
this one is from a store display and more like Acrylic or Polycarbonate I said plastic.
I have sold lights with glass globes, plastic er ah Acrylic or Polycarbonate and even paper globes.
The one light I have not sold is one that "Someone may be really disappointed" with.
In fact I did "really disappoint" people at Hukilau when I sold all my lights in one day
and they could not buy one.
And yes I had Paper, Plastic And Glass globes that I sold there.

As I go to tiki bars home and commercial I encountered many different types of lights.
I study, photograph and buy them.
The great bars of old all had plastic globes and glass.
And the most of the glass ones WERE NOT FISH FLOATS!
Fish floats are a pale green coke bottle color, I have had people ask for many colors
but never a lt green or lt blue, If you put a light in them it does not look so hot.
The plastic globe weighs less is more durable and has better colors than most glass ones do.
One of my favorite lights from the Kahiki is plastic.

Look at the fish trap lamp at bottom of page.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=45415&forum=20&start=60
Quote Sven
"Now here's one of my favorite vintage Tiki lounge lamps, a classic 3 resin float bamboo fish trap light!"

Plus Sven has many Resin, plastic er ah Acrylic or Polycarbonate lights in his house.

What I find odd is that I have seen a light here that is priced kinda high they were 12 inch floats
and not tied as well that sold for around $250.00 to your door, that's $20.00 bucks an inch.
($20.00 bucks an inch would put this light at around $180.00)
They did come in lt blue I think, tied with sisal twine.
You felt no need to do a public service announcement on those lights.
I've seen mugs go for high dollar, and those can be made by a mold.
Hey if you make some money off your art, good for you I say.
I'm up to about Five cents an hour and riding high.
You DO know I have to buy this stuff to make these right?

This is a one of a kind hand made light, I think they call that couture in the fashion world.
Or "Hand crafted Cocktail" at Three Dots, At this price I can get one bowl of booze with tip.

I will post some photos of plastic globes to show my point.

And yes you are right someone will be "really disappointed" with this light.
The People who did not win it.

The Kahiki.
Now in my house and one of my favs.

A Little place called Oceanic Arts, It's in California.

Another California place call Tiki Ti.

Three of my other plastic lights. (All Sold) can you spot the glass one?
With no "Someone may be really disappointed" I might add.

‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›•:TikiHlua One Word:"Plastics":•‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›
º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤ºº¤ø,¸¸,:TIKISKIP:•:MAKES:•:FLOAT:•:LIGHTS:º¤ø,¸¸ø¤ºº¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º

‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›

OGR

Skip, I would LOVE to be disappointed in having one of your lights delivered to my home. Your work is truly top notch. Best of luck w/ the auction...not that you need it. OGR

tikiskip only has the good stuff.......

You're the best Skip! Can't wait to deck out my place with your lights!

Just waiting til I get the ceilings done so I have a place to hang em..

Hey Skipper, Since you make mas dinero on your one of a kind custom lights
I was hoping you could lend me a few clams, I need a new cozy for my Fabergé egg!

Then we can take out the Bentley for a cruise to Hi-Time's and pick up another case of Napoleon Brandy
Chin Chin, my good man! :lol:

T

Thanks guys.
And ATP there once was a time, and what a time it was!

I do make some loser lamps, I just don't sell or show them.
In fact the best lights I make are often saved for sale on eBay.
When I sell any of my works I do care deeply about the buyer being happy with our deal.
The lights I sell will be one of the best in your bar.

Sven put it best and I'm way proud of having a light in his house.

SVEN KRISTEN AUTHOR OF THE BOOK OF TIKI WROTE

"Skip, I've been a fan of your lamps fo evva. Your love of detail, your aging techniques, the visible time spent on each piece make them the only lamps I would hang among my vintage ones. One day I am gonna get me one of those cork ones"

If Sven don't know who does?

T

I stand by my opinion. It looks like glass and if I had won the bid on it and failed to read the description I would have been disappointed that it was not. You can read into it whatever you like.

T

On 2013-11-01 14:22, TikiHula wrote:
I stand by my opinion. It looks like glass and if I had won the bid on it and failed to read the description I would have been disappointed that it was not. You can read into it whatever you like.

Well if it looks like glass why would it matter if it was not glass?

And what I read into it is that your comment is more about wanting to f$%# with me than it is about this light.
Don't know why, but that's the way it looks.

‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›•:Tikihlua One Word:"Plastics":•‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›
º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤ºº¤ø,¸¸,:TIKISKIP:•:MAKES:•:FLOAT:•:LIGHTS:º¤ø,¸¸ø¤ºº¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º

‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›

Just common sense here, but if you bought something & failed to read any info or description of that item
and thought it was something else
whose fault is that? the seller? ObamaCare? Al-Qaeda? Arby's?

No sir, it would be yours & trusting you with the proper use of prescription drugs may be problematic also :lol:

Hey skip, don't listen to people who don't know. Your stuff is the best! It hangs in my 3 homes and 2 businesses and I also have a huge vintage collection. Skip you are one if the best at making Vintage looking lamps!!! Keep up the great work

Amy

EJ

On 2013-11-01 19:57, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

Just common sense here, but if you bought something & failed to read any info or description of that item
and thought it was something else
whose fault is that? the seller? ObamaCare? Al-Qaeda? Arby's?

No sir, it would be yours & trusting you with the proper use of prescription drugs may be problematic also :lol:

^This exactly.

T

Thanx Amy,
You are my best customer fer sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSxihhBzCjk

Déjà vu

ø"˜¯¯¨˜"ø"˜¯¯¨˜"ø"˜¯¯¨˜"ø"˜¯¯¨˜"ø"˜¯¯¨˜"ø"˜¯¯¨˜"ø"˜¯¯¨˜"ø"˜¯¯¨˜"ø"˜¯¯¨˜"ø"˜¯¯¨˜"ø"˜¯¯¨˜"ø

But wait! The auction is not over yet! And the hand-tied netting alone is worth more than 90.- bucks!

And yes, it is a misconception that Polynesian restaurant net floats were out of glass. There were more resin ones than glass around - and now BOTH are very rare. But since it is a misconception that is COMMON, Tiki Hula might be right: Some not-in-the-know folks never touched such a float, and might assume that it has to be out of glass. But I venture to say that the one who pays the bucks that win that puppy is aware of Skip's valuable craftsmanship.

Here's a truckload of Kelbo's resin globes :) :

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2013-11-02 22:31 ]

TM

I had no idea how valuable these things were. We used to sail to Kahoolawe island a lot, which was off limits for civilians at the time...and the beaches would be littered with these things. Most looked like glass, but it was a long time ago and I can't be sure about the material now.

T

Amy I should say that your places the few I have seen are Awesome,
and it is an honor to have my lights in them.

Thanks again Sven, I'm not as good a word smith as you and have trouble getting my
point across as well as you do.

And Lucus here comes the confusing part.
Most real fish floats were made of glass, a few were plastic.
But many of the lights in tiki bars of old were heck whatever they could find that looked
like it would fit into their tiki spot.
So of the fish float lights that were glass this thin glass was made more for décor and not the rough
seas plus you would not need a pretty color glass for a true fish float that would be used at sea.
Another thing that made bars of old I would guess not want to use real fish floats is
the fact that there is no hole in real fish floats you can cut a hole in them but they often
break when you do.

Heck the first Trader Vic's had sleds and tricycles hanging in it (as told in Life mag)
Look at the stuff in Bahooka lots of that is not very tiki per say and this place had lots o plastic globes,
But the place looked great altogether.

Like the Documentary says it's a Plastic Paradise.

T

Thank you to all who bid and all of your support.
And the buyer too! Going to send an extra gift with this light.
Got a new light going up tonight at 10:00.
IT"S A GLASS GLOBE FLOAT with cork!!!

Please take a look.

Pages: 1 23 replies