Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Backyard Hula/Tiki Bar

Pages: 1 6 replies

The bamboo I applied to my home-built backyard tiki/hula bar has finally lost its green, so I took a couple of pics. My wife bought this bar about 20 years ago and we have almost thrown it out a half-dozen times.
The bamboo came from some poles I bought on eBay and split. I applied them to the bar front and sides with Liquid Nails.
I covered the surface with burlap from Wal-Mart and then painted the hula girl, palm trees and Hawaiian Islands, then coated the burlap with several coats of Polycrylic clear finish.

Sweet top! Might have to try something like that on a future bar if it's cool with you?

On 2003-07-13 15:48, thechikitiki wrote:
Sweet top! Might have to try something like that on a future bar if it's cool with you?

Absolutely. In fact, I copied the hula girl myself - from my favorite aloha shirt designed by Michael Cassidy. Of course my hula girl doesn't look nearly as aluring as his!. :D

Yes, very cool idea for a top... interesting visual texture with the burlap... still, looks like you have some skills with a paintbrush... very nice finished product!

Looks fantastic! Hey, what's "liquid nails"?

On 2003-07-13 23:34, spy-tiki wrote:
Looks fantastic! Hey, what's "liquid nails"?

It's an adhesive used in construction. You need to have one of those guns that hold tubes like the one shown below. In this case, I used the Paneling and Molding version of the stuff. It's about as thick as toothpaste and I just put a big glop two or three places along the back of each bamboo piece (which are hollow except where the joints are)

Nice bar Juke! Did you rough the boo up (50 grit will work) where you put the L/N so it will stick? If they start poping off, try the above mention. Also, always pre-drill holes before nailing and or screwing. Cool painting too.

Pages: 1 6 replies