Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Tiki Republic Mug in the Works

Pages: 1 18 replies

This is the Tiki Republic Logo that I designed. Below is the logo is the mug of the logo that I am working on. This is the plastaline clay stage that I did by hand. A casting mold and slip have been made. They are at the kiln now being fired.

[ Edited by: Tiki Republic 2013-10-30 19:06 ]

You've done an excellent job of molding the Sculpey clay. I started out that way too. This clay tends to crack weather it is backed or still soft. Try to keep it at a constant room temperature until the day you do your mold. I baked mine first and then molded it and that went well but later my sculpt cracked and fell to pieces. Best wishes for the rest of your project. I hope you'll keep posting, Wendy

Ps using Romo Clay #2 or #3 works well and you can use it over and over again

Looks good, should be fun to glaze. Love the gecko

Thanks Wendy and Mike. I've been following lots of topics and you guys do good work. The feedback is much appreciated. I will post more pics as I progress.

Love it!

Your carving is excellent and I love the little gecko on the side! Can't wait to see the mold and your progress. Keep sharing!

I haven't posted in awhile but I have been reading all your posts and working...or shall I say figuring the mug making process out. This is the glazed look. I'm working with multiple colors. I now know why most mugs are one color, lol. I gotta be me though.

[ Edited by: Tiki Republic 2013-12-20 21:42 ]

This was the first prototype. It shrank big time and the glaze color didn't come out the way I had imagined so I went back to the drawing board.

Doh! May the tiki gods forgive me for posting the previous images individually. It will never happen again oh great ones.
This is the modified version. I used Laguna Terra Cotta slip to hopefully create more of a wood look to it, made it wider, added more foliage in the back to compensate for empty space and detailed it up after it came out of the mold. I also am trying a few more glazes as the first mug didn't have colors that popped enough for me.

I was shooting for a tropical jungle feel giving the foliage different hues and accents, a volcanic eruption in the background through the eyes with a lava flow on the interior of the mug. When I went to pick them up I was told that one had cracked. The one that cracked also had glaze that flaked off and glaze separation on the inside of the mug. I was told that this was due to using high fire slip with low fire glaze.

If any of you can enlighten me with any knowledge on how to rid the evil spirits that are corrupting my process I would be greatly indebted to you for...I'll come up with something.

Mahalo.

[ Edited by: Tiki Republic 2013-12-20 20:25 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Republic 2013-12-20 20:27 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Republic 2013-12-20 21:30 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Republic 2013-12-20 21:45 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Republic 2013-12-20 21:50 ]

These look wonderful. I'm ready for the next set of photos, Wendy

This is a great design. I hope you guys the issues sorted out with the firing and glazes!

Got the problems figured out while sharing the time with carving tikis. Now I'll experiment the different color combinations. I definitely like the lava insides and the eyes that signify a volcanic eruption.

Side shot of one of the multi colored tikis

Side of one of the multicolored mugs with the gecko.

T

Those are wonderful. I like him better with different colored teeth, but the white seems a bit harsh. Maybe just a lighter shade of the base brown?

Kool

I didn't ever see this thread but thanks to that dude asking for money and your post there I looked you up :)

I like your mug design here. The glazing really fits with your design and I catch the vibe you are going with. I like the lettering a lot as well.

Have you done any others since this one?

[ Edited by: SandraDee 2014-04-23 17:40 ]

I'm not happy with the color scheme yet either. I'm still working on it. I decided to stay off until I have something that I'm happy with. I have an extremely busy schedule and am working on getting the mugs done, a website up, a blog up to date etc. I'll have something up very soon as I have a huge event to stage in 3 weeks.

Cool.

I love the glaze on the leaves and the eyes. I would love to see a lighter glaze on the tiki itself only because that dark color next to the white teeth maybe is too much of a contrast? Not sure because I know absolutely nothing about glazing but perhaps might give you a different outcome?

Regardless glad I got to see this and hope you update again soon!

Pages: 1 18 replies