Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

New to Tiki, how much should I pay for fountain

Pages: 1 12 replies

D

Hi all, my name is Don. I am new to all things tiki but I am wanting to put in a Tiki themed bar on my covered pation behind my house. I am looking at getting this tiki fountain at an auction this weekend and was wondering what would be the max I should pay for something like this? It looks pretty old and its 6ft tall, and thats main reason I like it. Money isnt an issue for me, just want to make sure I dont over pay.

http://www.auctionzip.com/Full-Image/1930619/fp1.cgi

Thanks!

Well the price of that just went up.

It is a cool one.
As far as price that's up to you really.

Lots o tiki people want to get tiki at a low low price then tell you how
it's worth way more than they paid.

I may see you there, Ha! I kid.
But say hi to TIKIDAVID if he see this he will be there bidding against you.
I'm sure he saw this already though.
Good Luck!

Welcome to TikiCentral. Good luck on your bidding. Please post more pics of this awesome fountain if you are lucky enough to get it.

Witco Mainlander fountain, looks complete, nice! I'd say it's worth $1,000, $1,500 is not skyhigh out of the realm, but these do not come up very often, so hard to "know" a price. But if price is not an issue for you, that would not be overpaying.

That's a great piece! I hope you get it.

TT

Did someone varnish it?

Yeah the color & the grain doesn't look right from the photo. Looks like it's been painted or coated with something..

T

Yeah, looks like someone did a "restore" on it - some of the burning may have been removed and some kind of matte varnish put on.

Still it's a freakin' WITCO FOUNTAIN - how cool is it that one comes up for sale! And possibly from the estate of the original owner?

Best of luck to all the bidders.

That is a unique piece. Just make sure there are no latent leaks, which might rot the wood.

Here is a more standard fountain, to compare:
http://www.ecrater.com/p/12496269/easter-island-moai-fountain-by?gps=1&id=58674353779

T

Leak or no leak, I would buy that fountain and repair it if needed. It is way too cool to pass up.

TT

So what was the condition and what did it go for?

TD

On 2013-11-02 15:37, Tiki Toli wrote:
So what was the condition and what did it go for?

The photos did not do it justice.
The fact is, this was in absolutely 'PRISTEEN' condition.Inside since it was purchaced in 1971.
It didn't go cheap.
It will be going to a Good home where it will be among alot of other fine Witco pieces.

T

What about the "Stone Tiki" that was listed in yard items?
This house had a look of a person who worked or owned a restaurant or bar at one time.
ie white furnishings every place then bam a few tiki that we got when the restaurant went out.

This is why you don't post on here about sales if you want to buy items in said sale.
I almost made the two hour drive myself, But knew David would be there and go deep for this
Witco.
Also if I had said I would have paid say $2000.00 for it here this may drive the price up
for you and me as other bidders would see this and up there game a bit thus taking you and me
out of the game.
I think this is the best of the Witco fountains.

Lastly David did you know of this sale before this post?
This post may have brought in the worlds best Witco hunter.

Pages: 1 12 replies