Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Finkdaddy's new band's first song

Pages: 1 7 replies

F

Hey Tiki Central!!!

I wanted to share something with you all.
Very recently, like a 2 months or so ago, a good friend of mine, Dave, and I decided to form a band. Dave is a terrific guitar player, and his son, David, would be playing drums, so it all worked out nicely.
We toyed with a few ideas for songs and what not, but nothing seemed to really click with us.

Then one night we were sitting in my living room, listening to music on the stereo, and I put on the first Go!Tsunami album.
For whatever reason, it was like magic. We instantly knew what direction we would take. We named ourselves Rescued by Divers and we started writing music that very night.
We love you, Riptide!

On this song, I am playing fretless bass, ukulele, and a bit of guitar. Dave is playing all the solos and the cool, heavy guitar. I've also programmed drums for this one since our drummer is very busy with college and work right now and won't be ready for a while yet.

We would love some critiques, so please let me know what you all think. Hopefully by the end of winter we'll have an EP to release. I'll let you know if that happens.

Be careful, the riptide is treacherous today!

~Fink

Rescued by Divers

Please visit my new website, Leeward Lounge Ukuleles

[ Edited by: finkdaddy 2013-11-03 14:54 ]

TM

Ok, you asked for it!

I am biased, as I am not a huge fan of surf....but I am a fellow musician and I have ears....

I like this. The fretless bass sounds real good, and it's not something you normally hear in surf music. The guitar player's tone is really nice as well. The whole thing sounds very clean, and I didn't automatically think it was electronic drums...which is a good thing.

If you lived out here on the west coast, you would have a lot of competition because there are a huge amount of surf bands out here. How is the surf scene in wisconsin? You probably will stand out over there!

Over all, excellent first effort! Good enough that no one would know it's your first effort!

F

On 2013-11-06 07:25, lucas vigor wrote:
Ok, you asked for it!

I am biased, as I am not a huge fan of surf....but I am a fellow musician and I have ears....

I like this. The fretless bass sounds real good, and it's not something you normally hear in surf music. The guitar player's tone is really nice as well. The whole thing sounds very clean, and I didn't automatically think it was electronic drums...which is a good thing.

If you lived out here on the west coast, you would have a lot of competition because there are a huge amount of surf bands out here. How is the surf scene in wisconsin? You probably will stand out over there!

Over all, excellent first effort! Good enough that no one would know it's your first effort!

Oh man. That is the coolest review I've ever heard. Thank you so much for that!
The fretless bass was a conscious choice. I wanted to stay in the vain of surf bass, but do something that would stand out from the rest.
And Dave, our guitar player, is a huge tone freak, so he'll be happy that you said that.

As far as the Wisconsin surf scene, as far as I know we are only one of three surf acts.
We have the Exotics and the Revomatics. Both are very good bands and have been around for a long time.
The Exotics I know are very popular and play a lot around the country, including California.

Again Lucas, thank you very much for the comments. You have made my day!

~Fred

I don't know diddly squat about surf music but I admire your handmade ukes so you get my vote too :)
PS - it sounded just like what I thought surf music should sound like

F

On 2013-11-07 11:22, MadDogMike wrote:
I don't know diddly squat about surf music but I admire your handmade ukes so you get my vote too :)
PS - it sounded just like what I thought surf music should sound like

Thanks, Mike!

Funny that I would find a new surf band here,
And not on SG101.
I guess I'm just overwhelmed with so much over there.

MDM,
I'd be very pleased if you came up to OC for one of the big surf
Shows I put on.
Jan and Aug
Jeff btd

F

On 2013-11-08 20:19, bigtikidude wrote:
Funny that I would find a new surf band here,
And not on SG101.
I guess I'm just overwhelmed with so much over there.

MDM,
I'd be very pleased if you came up to OC for one of the big surf
Shows I put on.
Jan and Aug
Jeff btd

Thanks, BTD! I'm just a newbie over at SG101. There is A LOT of information to sort through over there, for sure.

H
hewey posted on Fri, Nov 22, 2013 4:02 AM

Nice work Finky! #1 says hello too, by the way.

Pages: 1 7 replies