Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Urban archeology Kalamazoo lost and found

Pages: 1 2 replies

UT

The HI-LO was a great old school bar on the outskirts of Kalamazoo. A classic beer and a shot joint with pool tables and Naugahyde goodness. It closed in 2000 after many many years. It soon after became a convenience store. About two years ago a fire broke out and the store closed. The classic sign stood guard until early this summer and then was gone. I found this great vintage windbreaker with the bar's logo on the back yesterday at a local thrift. I was blown away and felt very fortunate finding this relic and didn't think twice about forking over the five bucks for it and the memories. Well this morning I drove to my sister's house and the route takes me passed the old HI-LO. At seven AM in a cold fall downpour mixed with falling leaves I passed by an empty lot. The HI-LO fell to the wrecking ball just a couple of days ago. Time to file that one in the memory bank and turn the page.

"Anyone who has ever seen them is thereafter haunted as if by a feverish dream" Karl Woermann

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2014-02-12 13:48 ]

TM

great, bittersweet score!

I guess this is more like tripping through the past with vintage activewear. This is a great vintage bowling shirt made by Hilton. The Mermaid Lounge is a long gone gentleman's club here in Kzoo. A great shirt with classic graphics for another place that has moved only into memory. The old building was torn down years ago.

Pages: 1 2 replies