Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

TIKI OASIS IV - Book Now!

Pages: 1 41 replies

Here's how to book: Go to http://www.Calientetropics.com.

Click on "Reservations" or "Book On LIne"

Click on "Groups"

Input the Attendee Code: 6463

All special requests (room numbers, locations, etal) will be satisfied on a first-booked, first-served basis!! Make sure you note your request(s) on your reservation (there's a place for notes).

The first ten guests who book will receive their choice of either two free drink coupons, or a copy of "Tiki Road Trip," or a Caliente tropics Resort Tiki Mug by Tiki Farm!

When you click on the TIKI OASIS IV post card on our front page, it will take you to TikiNews.com, not the booking page.

MAHALO!

T

I booked 2 weeks ago - am I one of the first 10? :)

Richard

DZ

So did I - did I win, did I win??

I have decided to put my procrastinating days behind me. I just booked mine.

You three guys probably all made it. I'll ask Matt to check and let you know! Mahalo!

It's time again?! I still have a throbing headache from the last one.

Casey!

Me and mine booked last night (7/14) did I win? Did I win?

Also, will I need wrist bands for my 2 kids?

(yes Baxdog, I'm bringing my whole family next year!)

It looks like it's too late to say anything for next year, but for the NEXT year, does it have to be Mother's Day Weekend? It was so not good for so many people, and I want everyone to be able to come, and come guilt-free!

I will be bringing my whole family too.

Wife, 5 Year old, and 3 year old

Shelley and I have reserved our room, see everybody next spring. Woody? Tiki Fish? Swanky, Kiliki?.
Poly Pop and Sugar Caddy Daddy on "Craft Day" in Cabin 135 At good old Camp Caliente

Bong, the morning after, with water and Excedrin, the natural enemy of the Hangover

M

Almost missed it last year because we booked late. Although it still seems like Oasis 3 was just yesterday, we are already officially booked for #4 (9 months in advance). Here's a photo of a great new friend we made last year and are looking forward to seeing again...

ModMana :drink:

Sorry, but I just can't plan that far ahead. (I can barely plan a month ahead let alone 9 months ahead.)

Formikanini, it also looks like it's on Mom's Day again from the dates they have listed on the hotel site. (May 7-9) That's also not good for me. (Tiki Oasis 2 was on my mom's 65th b-day and TO 3 was on Mom's day......my poor mom.)

I just got one of those Caliente emails telling me the rates for, say, Thursday before the Oasis are deeply discounted. Hey kids, who's gonna show up on Thursday? I think the 1/2-a-Friday / Saturday / 1/2-a-Sunday thing makes the weekend too short. THURSDAY! THURSDAY! THURSDAY! THURSDAY!

It's not as if there isn't time enough to plan for it or anything...

[ Edited by: floratina on 2003-07-16 09:29 ]

I'd love to book but I too have to voice my opinion about the dates. Mother's Day is really a bad weekend for a lot of us. Maybe TO-5 a the weekend before or after can be suggested.

We want to go - we would consider sharing a room with someone as we are planning on touring California a bit while we're there. Hopefully this timing will work out for us.

H

On 2003-07-16 09:28, floratina wrote:
Hey kids, who's gonna show up on Thursday? I think the 1/2-a-Friday / Saturday / 1/2-a-Sunday thing makes the weekend too short. THURSDAY! THURSDAY! THURSDAY! THURSDAY!

I'm in! Just booked, and I'm staying Thursday, too. Yee haw!

Who's snagging 135 this year?

Al and Shelley of course. Always.

C

Aloha!

Thanks for booking everyone! Let me answer a few questions. First, Mothers' Day is the biggest weekend "hole" between January 1st and July 1st. The first year was in the middle of August, when the weather was much more tropical, the second year (by request) was moved to June, and many had issues with the heat. So the logical, MOST AFFORDABLE, most available weekend with the best weather pattern was Mothers' Day weekend. It also afforded Tiki News and the CTR an opportunity to stick with an easy-to-remember date on an annual basis. Part of that decision making stems from the need for the Resort to fill rooms during the highest demand periods (weekends Jan-Jun), at our highest rates ($225-295) so we can survive Sundays through Thursdays and the rest of the year. That said, the only other opportunity lies in the first two weekends of January, or a Sunday-Thursday pattern at virtually anytime of the year (other than 3-day holidays). I hope this makes sense.

For those of you who get the early-booking bonus, Matt will be emailing you this week (maybe tonight) to ask which "prize" you want.

Deeply discounted extra nights are available, for any room type, @ $85 per night. After you pay for the first two nights at the group rate, all additional nights are available at the rate of $85. Make the reservation for all the nights you wish to stay. You will get the automatic web confirmation with the full rate. Within 72 hours you'll get a reconfirmation, direct from the Resort, with the adjusted promotional rate of $85 for nights three through ????

Mahalo!!

floratina wrote:
Hey kids, who's gonna show up on Thursday? I think the 1/2-a-Friday / Saturday / 1/2-a-Sunday thing makes the weekend too short. THURSDAY! THURSDAY! THURSDAY! THURSDAY!

I've booked Wednesday through Sunday!

Humuhumu wrote:
Who's snagging 135 this year?

Oh yeah, like Floratina said, AlnShelly in 135...as always.

BTW, I've got rooms 137 & 138 again...as always.

Like PolyPop, Mother's Day is not the most preferred date, and I would, in a heartbeat, love to change it to any other date. I've got a wife, a mother, mother-in-law, a stepmom, two grandmothers, and great-grandma that I've got to explain to (again) about not having a Mother's Day celebrated the way THEY want to have it.

SugarCaddyDaddy's Schedule of Stuff!

[ Edited by: SugarCaddyDaddy on 2003-07-16 23:37 ]

T

I am booked in for Friday thru Sunday. If for some reason I can come on Thursday I may ask to crash on someone's floor.

Michele and I went to Las Vegas just before the Oasis 3 this year. Is anybody up for something like that just before the Oasis?

Or if the Hoity Toities are doing something in So Cal before the trip to the Oasis, I am up for that too. (And just who do I have to sleep with to get that honorary Hoity Toity status?)

2003 was a good year for the Tiki Events. I can't think of a more fun way to spend vacation than with our group of Tiki Coco-nuts!

So grateful for the friendships,

TB

[ Edited by: tikibob on 2003-07-17 05:58 ]

On 2003-07-17 05:56, tikibob wrote:
(And just who do I have to sleep with to get that honorary Hoity Toity status?)

TikiBob, it's not 'who', but rather 'what' that we'll decide (ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha).

T

I hope it won't be one of those gorillas!

TB

FYI~

In case you didn't know or realize, your credit card will be charged for the FULL stay at The Tropics right now! Unlike the previous years where you were charged the first night and paid the rest upon completion of your stay, you will have to pay for your stay in full now (not including the room taxes).

So, for example, if you are coming for Friday & Saturday (checking out Sunday), you will see a charge for $300 right away and the room taxes will (most likely) be charged at checkout. If you are going Thursday, Friday & Saturday (checking out Sunday), you will see a charge for $385 right now.

I bring this up because in calling quite a few TC'ers, they did NOT realize that they would have a full charge on their credit card at this time. They were under the impression that they could "reserve" now and be able to secure a room and be able to save up for next year and have the money to pay at that time. Some TC'ers are on a strict budget (understandibly) and since some people use a Visa CheckCard instead of a regular Visa, this means that their available cash in their bank account will be withdrawn now. It would be quite shocking to some if they weren't planning to pay upfront for their hotel stay now and to go to their grocery store to find that they can't pay because their Visa CheckCard didn't have enough cash.

Any thoughts?

C

Thanks for giving the "heads-up" to everyone SugarCaddyDaddy! All of the policies and specifics about booking are disclosed (in fact, you have to read them and click on "I agree") but I'm afraid the vast majority of us don't read them. However, you bring up a good point, and (with Otto's nod) we'll change it so we collect only the first two nights.

Mahalo!

T

*On 2003-07-17 21:19, SugarCaddyDaddy wrote:*Any thoughts?

I'm against the trend of prepaying for a hotel stay that's becoming the only way you can find low rates on sites like Expedia and others. I live paycheck to paycheck and I don't have tons of credit cards (I got into trouble that way before) so I usually save up for a vacation these days. Also, it just seems unsavory for large hotel chains to do it when you know they could get by without doing it. Smaller places like dude ranches or houses for rent I can understand the need to recieve a larger amount up front. For example, I'll be staying at a private home in Mexico this Fall and they asked for a 50% deposit in advance.

I've found that going on the hotel's web site is a good way to find low fares that don't require more than one night's deposit.

I'm not necessarily saying Casey at Caliente Tropics shouldn't charge up front. It is a special event that will be sold out way in advance anyway. I just think many folks who earn less money or who try to limit their credit card spending may be left out and that's unfortunate.

SCD- thanks for the heads up. I keep a low limit on my credit card and am soon taking a 3 week road trip. Would have been a drag to break down, need repairs, and hear,"Card declined." I'll send in an early payment.

Casey-I understand the need to do this, and thanks for the 2 free drinks!

Also, I realize that Mother's Day may be a drag for some, but I'm a mom and this is my favorite Mother's Day gift! Thanks Otto & Casey.

For those TC'rs bringing their little dependants, Otto said those under 18 are admitted free to the event (ie in the gates).

HH

On 2003-07-21 09:08, Tiki_Bong wrote:
For those TC'rs bringing their little dependants, Otto said those under 18 are admitted free to the event (ie in the gates).

sweet so my girlfriend can come ......muhahahhahahahah

G
GECKO posted on Mon, Jul 21, 2003 5:20 PM

FUNNY!!!

your game cant be dat bad Hula! eh you not on da BCC program are ya? da blind crippled and crazy? jus don't wear dat "room neads service" sign around your neck no mo cuz....ya I herd da gossip!

aloha braddah

Hey Gecko! Any chance you can make it next year? We'd love to see you!

The dog pound is going WED. THURS. FRI. SAT.check out late SUN.
I can't wait.
Keep me away from "135" I'm scared

Monkeyman
Monkeywoman (not sure if my wife will agree to that name)
Monkeygirl and Monkeyboy

Will be attending.

I plan on arriving Friday EARLY and staying through Sunday.

The only thing I ever planned this far in advance was my wedding. Good Greif!!

Monkeyman

Poly Pop and company booked for Friday and Saturday. Like Monkeyman, we plan on arriving early on Friday and leaving late on Sunday. Looking forward to another great time!

**Poly-Pop ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-08-10 08:50 ]

The more I think about it, we will probably arrive on Thursday and make use of the pool before everyone else arrives. For an extra $85.00 we might as well make it a mini vacation. Bax, SCD, we can hang you. Bring the kids!

Casey,

It was great meeting you on Int'l Tiki Day.

As an alternative to the Caliente, I also recommend the nearby Orbit In, a classic 50s Modern style motel with ten "theme" rooms, right off the downtown strip. We stayed in the "Rat Pack Suite" for my 40th birthday "roast" last April (the reason I missed Tiki Oasis this year, couldn't make the trip to PS twice in a month) and this time, for the next Oasis, we're booked in the "Leopard Room." This place is right out of a Shag painting and while it is pricier than the Caliente, it is also well worth it, so save those pennies. Ultra Lounge music plays all day and night in the courtyard and guests are served free "Orbitinis" in the poolside bar every evening. Due to the small size they fill up fast, though, so if curious, check out http://www.orbitin.com

Incidentally, Otto asked me and Alan Parowski of Liftoff! (Tease-o-rama) to put together the film program next year, with alternating futuristic sci-fi/primitive tiki themes. We'll post the program for both sci-fi Friday (when it's more for background ambience)and primitive Saturday (a poolside "Thrillville")when finalized. No "Hawaiian Eye" this year, needless to say.

S

Nice post seamist
totally on topic
SPAMBOY!!!

In tikiland, another hotel is an "alternative" to the Caliente only if the Caliente is booked up! :)

Thursday!
Thursday!
Thursday!

I won the top prize in the raffle at the Conga Lounge last weekend, which was two nights at the Caliente Tropics....Whoohoo! (Thanks Mr. and Mrs. Pineapple!)

So, I called the Tropics today to see if I could use it at Tiki Oasis, and they told me that they sold out a couple of weeks ago. So, I'll have to attend another time; no biggie.

But I still want to go to Tiki Oasis...can someone recommend a good cheap motel nearby, and/or is anyone looking for a roommate?

thanks!

--cindy

Mrs. Boo and I just got back from a night at Caliente Tropics. A little other biz out there and a little pleasure @ CT.

Anyway, look for a Target add and T.V. commercial featuring a dude with fuzzy hair and a chick that looks like Jennifer Garner. They were shooting Poolside and the Reef Bar might be in the background. They said it would be out around March.

I decided to add to this existing Tiki Oasis IV thread rather than to make a thread for itself, so here is my question:

Has anyone noticed that on the Tiki Oasis IV schedule, that there are actual themed nights as well as a best dressed contest each night? Friday, May 7th is "Tiki Tomorrowland" and Saturday, May 8th is "Savage Nights".

I doubt that anyone wants to reveal what they will wear for the contest (if you plan on being in it), but I am interested in knowing if anyone is TRULY going to participate. Yes, some of you probably won't participate unless you know what the winners(s) get. I don't know what the prize(s) are, but who will say that they will join in? I'm not looking for the "no" or "maybe" people to speak up, just the definite "YES" people.

SCD,

I'll have to admit, you're usually the most suave dresser at the gigs!

Pages: 1 41 replies