Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

My lucky day (and a question)!

Pages: 1 7 replies

I've been sick for a few days so I've been hanging out on the web more than usual. I read online about a new antique store near me and decided to get out of bed and go investigate. I rarely find tiki mugs around here, and certainly nothing rare (my best local find to date being a Bali Hai mug).

It turns out they had a single tiki mug, but what a mug: a Frankoma War God in Woodland Moss from the Cultured Pearl. I almost feel guilty with what I paid for it, but the seller knew what it was and knew it was rare, so my guilt is somewhat assuaged.

The likely reason for the low price was because it is cracked straight through the mug for about two inches. It's barely visible, but I don't want it to get any worse. I was thinking a drop of cyanoacrylate might stabilize it, but wanted to get the opinion of some of the experts on here. What's the best way to handle it, short of keeping it out of sunlight and temperature/humidity changes?

T-shirts based on vintage tiki matchbooks: TikiTees

[ Edited by: TikiTacky 2013-11-10 15:10 ]

I don't know anyway to repair a vintage cracked mug, I avoid getting them anymore
as I have had a few just break sitting on a shelf from the temperature variations
or whatnot, Some have lasted for some years while others didn't make it past a week
which is why I don't assign value to damaged mugs, I want them to be around for the next generations
of future Tikiphiles.

Have you ever tried repairing them with CA as I mentioned?

Nope.

G

I've never had a cracked mug get any worse but I've secured a few hairline cracked 78 rpm records with a little archival scotch tape with good results.

gabbahey

I've done just that with CA on other ceramics with no ill effects. If it is an original firing crack and you subject it to extremes, it there is a chance it will open up again, but I can't see the negative in it to secure the pieces (can't suggest you go wild with CA for your collection of rare 16th century Ming porcelains).

GK

I've done just that with CA on other ceramics with no ill effects. If it is an original firing crack and you subject it to extremes, it there is a chance it will open up again, but I can't see the negative in it to secure the pieces (can't suggest you go wild with CA for your collection of rare 16th century Ming porcelains).

GK

Thanks. I ultimately got some low viscosity CA and filled the crack. Time will tell whether it does the job.

Pages: 1 7 replies