Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Auction - Items from the Kahiki

Pages: 1 2 62 replies

S

On 2013-11-20 08:46, lucas vigor wrote:

On 2013-11-20 08:17, Swanky wrote:

On 2013-11-20 07:03, lucas vigor wrote:
I guess I am kind of naive about this....what exactly is FOM and why is it bad?

I really am curious...I see it mentioned from time to time and always wondered what it was...

It originated as a group working to unite the very far flung Tiki fans in the East (East of California and nearby states) to support one another and have events, large and small to build camaraderie. Californians get together all the time and have it easy. Out here, you may be hours away from anyone or anything Tiki related. It has succeeded in that goal to various degrees depending on the Chapter, etc.

As for the bad, well, I won't say anything here. Let sleeping dogs lie. But there is no need for a FOM in California because the goals are already met by Tikiphiles gathering at DtB and Tiki Ti and Smuggler's Cove, etc. every night of the week and events every month or so.

Well, that does not sound all that evil.....however, who is "Tiki skipper"??? seems to me anyone posting under a false user profile is engaging in some form of dishonesty or otherwise nefarious conduct!

You asked about "bad", not "evil".

C

On 2013-11-20 09:24, tikiskip wrote:
I can say that if not for croe67 (Caroline) the FOM would not be one tenth of what it is.
She is a go getter for sure.

:blush: Why, Mahalo, John! :blush:

It takes a lot of us to make happen what we do these days & we have many newer Fellows over the past few years with lots of energy, enthusiasm & who want to make things happen, added to those of us who have been around for a bit longer. We couldn't do it without all of our members coming together to do good & have lots of fun!

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2013-11-20 12:42 ]

Yes, very cool. I'm imagining a nation-wide tour is called for! :)

T

This is VERY cool.............

http://www.fraternalorderofmoai.org/news/index.php/2013/11/25/fraternal-order-of-moai-acquires-legendary-fountain-from-the-kahiki-restaurant

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

I think the days of "man they just put that stuff in the trash" are over for
the most part.
So these items were not "saved from being scraped" it's just a matter of where it goes in this day
and age.

I would bet that this would have gone to some other tiki bar that will open some day.
Private collectors maybe some of the safest places for these items from the past.
Remember the bar from the Jai Lai went to Little brothers on High street, well Little bros is gone
and where is the bar?
Plus leases today have so many loopholes and BS in them I would fear that an item like that could become
what is known as a fixture and made to stay with the building when lessor leaves.
Mine did have this in it.
But I'm sure you guy checked on that.
AND if the lessor leaves in the middle of the night as some do owing rent ect... no lease
in the world will let you come and get that thing out. (Think Tropical Bistro)
Again I know you checked on that.
It is good that it will be relocated to a spot where John Q public will see it more.

You are right Jeff This is VERY cool, can't wait to see how it goes.

George has arrived at his new home.

http://www.fraternalorderofmoai.org/news/index.php/2014/06/12/george-arrives-at-grass-skirt-tiki-room

[ Edited by: rev_thumper 2014-06-12 11:50 ]

Well done!

U

We sure hope that they put the fountain Inside the building. The fountain has always been inside of either the Kahiki or the factory, but never outside. The winter weather and the hot sun could be brutal to the concrete structure.

The fountain actually was called "The Pig" when the Kahiki first opened. Does FOM plan on painting "The Pig" or return it to the original colors?

We are extremely pleased that The Pig or George will remain in Columbus.

He cannot fit in the existing building so a shelter will be built around him now that he is placed.

-Rev

Fantastic! After seeing what happened to the iconic fireplace (abandoned in someones backyard), seeing the fountain brought back into the public to enjoy really made my day. :)

T

"Does FOM plan on painting "The Pig" or return it to the original colors?"

A much better paint scheme for sure but you would need a good artist to pull it off as it is way more
intricate.
Would guess this is why they did not do that pattern back when they repainted it.

"The winter weather and the hot sun could be brutal to the concrete structure."
Mine is having troubles outside so this is a good point.
Even just a clear coat painted on once a year would help keep it.
One problem this one will have that mine won't is vandals, being as this is now steps away from
the open shelter.
I had a restaurant downtown for years trust me on that one.
Best case is they just poop and pee on it.
I would make a stencil for the painted graphic parts so you can repaint with ease if the taggers hit it.

looks like his right eye is poked out so now he only sees left.

It is good to see it in a more public setting though.
Good job Rev.

I didn't do anything, the work burden fell mostly on the local chapter.

But I'll fly in for the Hop to get a picture with it, you can bet on that.

-Rev

C

We have the "eye". It will be replaced appropriately. It has been hot glued or something in the past & was hanging by a thread.

He will be protected. We have plans. Please trust us on this.

We have placed him in a public place for all to enjoy. But we know the risks & plan to protect him.

I was just beyond thrilled to be able to be in town by coincidence the day he was delivered. Beyond awesome!!!

(Apologies for the sideways pic....I'm on my phone & cannot figure out how to not make it sideways....)

Awesome job guys !!!!

Pages: 1 2 62 replies