Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

The Final Aloha

Pages: 1 4 replies

I know some of you may not be on Facebook, or like me, don't have a lot of time for social media these days so I wanted to be sure to post this here as well.

Before that - I owe most of the success of this event to Tiki Central - for without you, The Hukilau would have never reached the masses in the early days. Thank you Hanford and the team that continues on with Tiki Central and keeping Polynesian Pop alive and well.

A Statement from Christie "Tiki Kiliki" White

To All of my Friends & The Hukilau family,

Today we announced that it will be The Final Aloha for The Hukilau in 2014. Everyone that REALLY knows me is aware of what a difficult decision this has been for me. As Humuhumu once told me - I'll believe it when I see it in print. I've wrestled with this for years - trying to balance life and the event. But it's finally caught up to me.

I have been given a very lucky opportunity in my professional life to move in a great direction, plus, I have missed so many other opportunities in life due to my responsibility to The Hukilau. I want to have fun again, have the time to travel and enjoy some of the wonderful people I've met through Tiki culture, with my family and with my love.

I understand there will be those that are disappointed and upset by this news - none more than me. I've had the time of my life, this is quite honestly, the hardest thing I've ever done. To give this news to you and to the Mai-Kai was tough, beyond tough really. I have held everyone's experience as my first priority for so long that I forgot about myself in the process - and I have damaged relationships because of it. I will never regret a day or moment with The Hukilau - it has been a personal mission, a true love, my enemy and my best friend. I love it so. Undoubtedly, we have done what we set out to do - to help spread Aloha, to help preserve a historic Mid-Century icon - the Mai-Kai and bring awareness to their existence around the world.

So I'm hoping for your support and encouragement in the coming months. I hope that many of you will make the trip for one last bash with me and The Hukilau team.

It has been an honor to share the last 12 years of memories with all of you, let's have one more!

Thank you, thank you, thank you, for being a part of my life...

I never got the opportunity to attend the Hukilau, but I certainly can appreciate the effort you must have out into it based on its popularity. Yo have lots of people plenty of great memories, and they'll always remember it. In other words, you touched a lot of lives. Thanks for your kindness!

As an aside, the most popular shirt in my store is for a place called the Hukilau, and I have no doubt it's because of your work. :wink:

Christie, we all appreciate the tireless work you've done for 12 years and wish you all the best in the future. Producing an event of this magnitude truly is a thankless job. But I'll say it anyway: THANKS!

I'm sure that No. 13 will indeed be "the Big Kahuna – The Hukilau to end all Hukilaus!" I know there will be an official announcement elsewhere on Tiki Central soon, but everyone is excited to get all the info so I'll hit the highlights ...

In the meantime, this is as good a place as any to start posting memories and photos from the past 12 years of Hukilau hijinx. Here's a good one from last year:

Mai-Kai manager Kern Mattei leading Tiki Kiliki in a new version of the "Hukilau Song" (aka "Rum in Your Mouth"), with backing from King Kukulele and Crazy Al. (Photo by Go11Media.com)

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

[ Edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2013-11-22 08:51 ]

Hey guys, this is actually NOT the Official Announcement but rather a note to the members of Tiki Central regarding the future of the event. We OFFICIALLY announce in January. Many apologies if Jim's message above was confusing.

Pleased to say that I will be there! I appreciate knowing that this will be the final Aloha. I've "huked" for 7 or 8 years in a row, always taking the time off no matter what was in progress at work, and always had a great time. Christie, a thousand thank yous aren't enough. Knowing that you and others on your team have made so many life-long memories for all of us is an awesome accomplishment. The Hukilau has always been intimate and personal, I will always treasure the memories and enjoy my photos, and I will certainly miss it in the future.

I'm reminded of a Hukilau 3 or 4 years ago when I booked a suite, packed up half of my home bar, and took it on the road with me to the event. We had amazing room parties in between Hukilau events. The 2014 event is calling me to consider doing that once again. My bar is bigger now, so I may need a bigger car!

Cheers, mahalo, and may the tiki gods smile favorably on us all.

Pages: 1 4 replies