Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

TCs own 'Potions of The Caribbean'

Pages: 1 13 replies

A

As many of you will know Mr Beachbum Berry will soon be releasing a new book, Potions of the Carribean.

Mr Beachbum's books are an entertaining read & have good recipes - the focus of this book is caribbean drinks & the people behind them. I look forward to it, I already enjoy a few 'non tiki' carribean drinks as part of my regular menu.

Like most of you my purchase is assured, although I do wonder if the population of TC can compile a list that will match Mr Beachbum Berrys?

Drinks so far:

Bajan Swizzle
Bahama Mama
Bumbo
Cuba Libre
Daiquiris & variations
Dark n Stormy
Gombay Smash
Grog
Hemmingway Daiquiri
Jaspers Jamaican
Jaspers Punch
Jaspers Witch Doctor
Mojito
Myrtle Bank Punch
Planters Punches & variations
Rum Runner
Ti Punch
Painkiller
Queenspark Swizzle
Wray & Ting

[ Edited by: AdOrAdam 2013-12-05 15:01 ]

[ Edited by: AdOrAdam 2013-12-05 15:02 ]

A

My submission was easy peasy for me as its possibly my fave:

Hemmingway Diaquiri :)

No-one else can name a caribbean drink? Wow, Im shocked!

Here's another: Queenspark Swizzle

Aka 'the most delightful form of anesthesia given out today' (per Trader Vic).

Anyone else know one?

My favorite is also the Hemingway daiquiri. Another favorite boat drink of mine is the Rum Runner.

Storm

'Ti Punch!
Painkiller
Dark 'N Stormy
Pina Colada
Mojito
Gombay Smash
Rumrunner
Bahama Mama
Cuba Libre
Daiquiris Daiquiris Daiquiris
Jasper's Jamaican
Jasper's Punch
Jasper's Witch Doctor
J Wray and Ting
Stranger's Club Gin Fizz
Assorted Planter style Rum Punches

Queen's Park Swizzle.

Another drink recommended by Trader Vic, the Myrtle Bank Punch

Don't forget JB & Ting :)

A

Not sure if it's the proper name, something I make sometimes - 2 parts rum, 1 lime, 1 falernum, bitters & crushed ice - Bajan Swizzle?

On 2013-11-30 16:09, Sunny&Rummy wrote:

Jasper's Witch Doctor
J Wray and Ting
Stranger's Club Gin Fizz

Where do these recipes come from???

On 2013-12-04 13:21, jingleheimerschmidt wrote:

On 2013-11-30 16:09, Sunny&Rummy wrote:

Jasper's Witch Doctor
J Wray and Ting
Stranger's Club Gin Fizz

Where do these recipes come from???

The Witch Doctor comes from jasper Le Franc of the Bay Roc Resort in Jamaica. The Gin Fizz is from the Stranger's Club in Colon, Panama. Both of those drinks were presented by Beachbum Berry at his Hukilau seminar this year and both will be in the new book.

J Wray and Ting (or JB and Ting if Charley's JB isd your preferred white overproof Jamaican) is a pretty standard Jamaican drink where J Wray overproof accounts for something like 80% of all the rum locally consumed. Posts about J Wray and Ting go back on TC at least as far as 2007, and the drink has also been widely discussed at A Mountain of Crushed Ice, Ministry of Rum, Kaiser Penguin, and very recently on the most excellent 5 Minutes of Rum podcast.

A

Grog & Bumbo.

Grog being what the navy had (which included lime juice to prevent scurvy & spice to disguise the water being off)... like a Pussers diaquiri?

Bumbo being what pirates had (which didn't have to always include lime as pirates went ashore but did include spices)... like spiced rum punch?

Love a good Bumbo/Bombo. Can't find Sgt. Classick unaged gold potstill rum much anymore which makes an outstanding Bumbo, but Pusser's 84 proof with a splash of water, Demerara sugar and grated cinnamon and nutmeg is also excellent.

Gold Spanish style rum and coconut water is another Caribbean standard I left off my earlier list. Simple and delicious.

The Witch Doctor comes from jasper Le Franc of the Bay Roc Resort in Jamaica. The Gin Fizz is from the Stranger's Club in Colon, Panama. Both of those drinks were presented by Beachbum Berry at his Hukilau seminar this year and both will be in the new book.

J Wray and Ting (or JB and Ting if Charley's JB isd your preferred white overproof Jamaican) is a pretty standard Jamaican drink where J Wray overproof accounts for something like 80% of all the rum locally consumed. Posts about J Wray and Ting go back on TC at least as far as 2007, and the drink has also been widely discussed at A Mountain of Crushed Ice, Ministry of Rum, Kaiser Penguin, and very recently on the most excellent 5 Minutes of Rum podcast.

Thank you very much! I'm surprised I missed the Ting. Now, to locate some in Norcal.

[ Edited by: jingleheimerschmidt 2013-12-06 08:25 ]

Pages: 1 13 replies