Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Why Exotica Enchants You?

Pages: 1 6 replies

M

Hi everybody! I'm from Brazil and new to the forum. I confess that here in Brazil the Tiki Culture is not so famous, but since when I discovered it, in 2009, I simply fell in love with it.

I discovered Tiki culture thanks to Exotica, listening to it with the Ultra-Lounge series. After that, I started to listen to more and more from Les Baxter, Martin Denny, Arthur Lyman, Gene Rains, Webley Edwards' Hawaiian Calls compilations, and now I'm a fan of Waitiki, Tikiyaki Orchestra and Orchestrotica.

For me, the enchantment of Exotica comes from its simplicity, but also its lush aura and arrangements. I think it was (in the 50s/60s) the precursor of New Age/meditation music, since the relaxing objective is almost the same (I know it's hard to find meditation music playing in bars and restaurants).

I love to hear the mallet instruments, afro-latin percussion, the special exotic effects, jungle calls, ocean waves. I had hardly listened to something so magical and escapist, even in Brazil.

And you? For those who like Exotica, what do you think is its enchantment?

See also 1 of my favorites.
Voodoo by Robert Drasnin on Dionysus records.

Cheers n welcome,
Jeff btd

M

Thanks for the suggestion! I know Robert Drasnin's Voodoo I and II, and also other artists such as Paul Conrad, Alex Keack, the Surfmen and Ted Auletta

TM

On 2013-11-27 10:06, mrzahta wrote:
I think it was (in the 50s/60s) the precursor of New Age/meditation music, since the relaxing objective is almost the same (I know it's hard to find meditation music playing in bars and restaurants).

This is an interesting theory, and one I agree with 100%...people often ask, what happened AFTER exotica and lounge?

My take is that it split off into two directions: 1. The latin sound...such as Herb Alpert, Baja Marimaba, Sergio Mendes (though he was actually there at the beginning)and some others that carried on with the adult contemporary sound...and 2. during the 70's, 80's and 90's, there was a proliferation of new age groups such as Shadowfax, oregon, Jon Hassell and Paul Winter consort that had similar exotic ideals and were also designed to be adult contemporary/easy listening, albeit without the whimsy and sense of "fun" that the 50's exotica had. These bands gleefully listed all the exotic instruments found on the albums....boo-bams anyone?

https://soundcloud.com/lucas-vigor/lights-on-the-water?in=lucas-vigor/sets/set-3

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2013-11-29 07:40 ]

M

This is what I believe, Lucas. There are great transition exemples, one of them, for me, is Eden Ahbez. I think his music can be played well in shuffle mode with some zen/meditation/world/new age artists.

One contemporary exemple that I know from New Age is Karunesh. His music is a combination of east and west sonorities (mainly indian music and electronica) and he also uses a lot of wind chimes, chinese gongs, bells and nature sounds to create the ambience around his compositions.

TM

Jon Hassell is good stuff. One of my favorite tracks of his is "Paris I" from "The Surgeon of the Night Sky..." Some of his stuff reminds me of Zoviet France. Check out the track "Shout the Storm" from their album "Eostre".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZnTXfY6H7I

I know this stuff is way off base from the Exotica we namecheck here but I feel there is a connection...somewhere...somehow...

[ Edited by: Hakalugi 2013-12-05 22:00 ]

Pages: 1 6 replies