Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Ads

Pages: 1 1 replies

EJ

So I upgraded to Mavericks and now when I go into a forum thread there are ads on the left side. There was a "Why are these ads here" link which gave the following info:

Tiki Central has always had ads at the top and bottom of all Tiki Central forum pages, but I am experimenting with some new types.
These new ads appear only to people who came directly to a topic from a search engine or another website.

People who visit Tiki Central by bookmarking it, or by typing the address into their browser will not see them.

The idea is that these ads will appear mainly to common passers-by who visit Tiki Central via Google, other web searches, and external links to topics. I think this is a good way to target the masses of search engine traffic without impacting regular Tiki Central member's day-to-day reading.

I am still experimenting with the formatting of the ads and the link detection code, so it's very much still in flux. If you're a Tiki Central member and you have feedback on this (both good or bad) please feel free to let me know.

Thing is I am not a common passer-by and do not visit via Google or other web searches. I come directly here and I still see the ads. Anyone now what gives? How to get rid of the ads? I am not talking about the banner ads at the top. Thanks.

Jeff

Sorry, I don't have an answer, El Jefe. I had the same problem a few months ago - I couldn't figure out why they suddenly started appearing when they never had before. But then, just as mysteriously, it just stopped and went back to ad-free normal. Hope that happens for you!

Pages: 1 1 replies