Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Hit the Road Week on History Channel

Pages: 1 3 replies

T

Did anyone see "Highway Hangouts: Eat & Run" last night on the History Channel? It was great! It was 2 hours and went into detail about the history of drive-ins, food stands, truck stops, and other roadside eating options. They covered Bob's Java Jive in Tacoma in depth, showing old photos of the building (flower pot bathrooms!), new shots of the inside, and an interview with the owner. Also, the show had extensive old home movie footage from the 50s (mostly in color) showing people moving and installing a diner and enjoying road food. Of course, Michael Stern, John Margolies, and Jim Heimann provided commentary. And I love that narrator - who is he? He has a pleasant and sorta goofy voice.

It's going to repeat this Sunday 7/20 at 1PM ET/PT. Also this Thursday and Friday they are showing a 4 hour documentary on US highway 1. Details here:

http://www.historychannel.com/global/listings/castbios.jsp?ACatId=8435214&CaseId=8435213&EGrpId=8414176

On 2003-07-15 16:27, thejab wrote:
Did anyone see "Highway Hangouts: Eat & Run" last night on the History Channel? It was great!

....and just in time for our Exotica road trips!

Yes, Wahine Marian and I watched it. We thought it was great. The info. on Ho-Jos was pretty cool. There is some Ho-Jo Hawaiian stuff on ebay right now from a restaurant/motor lodge in Ohio.

Jab, thanks for posting this. I hope I remember to watch them!

Pages: 1 3 replies