Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki in Vegas and Mobile

Pages: 1 11 replies

Going to Vegas end of the month staying at Hard Rock, only 2 days and will be busy but what must visit Tiki places should I go. The Venus is good, yes? Where else a cab ride away? How about Mobile, AL? Be there for the day Friday by car from South FL. Will check the Tiki road trip but trust your all most recent advice. Shecky #119 will be along and a journal is being kept. Mahalo, Tim

PI

Definitely Venus and Taboo Cove at the Venetian.

I also liked the tropical atmosphere of The Mirage (they pump coconut frangrance into the air).

sigh I'm ready to head back to Vegas for a weekend but need to save some $$.

On 2003-07-15 20:42, McDougall wrote:
Going to Vegas end of the month staying at Hard Rock, only 2 days and will be busy but what must visit Tiki places should I go. The Venus is good, yes? Where else a cab ride away? How about Mobile, AL?

Mobile, AL is more than a cab ride away from the Las Vegas Hard Rock. I recommend an airplane, or a good 4 days road trip.
haha

Seriously:
Check out the Imperial Palace. I mentioned their Luau in TRT, but during the Mondo Tiki weekend, I inspected to their buffett, which is Tiki themed. It is upstairs on the 3rd floor, and a bit tricky to find, but it is a large room with a dozen or two Oceanic Arts masks. The lighting is a bit harsh and a cafeteria-style ambience squashes the Tiki vibe, but hey - Tiki is Tiki.

I also made a return visit to Cheeseburger at the Oasis. The burgers there still suck (good fries tho), but their vintage Hawaiiana collection is astounding and well worth a visit.

There aint shit in Mobile, Alabama! Stop before you get there and go south on Highway 59 at the Loxley exit and eat at Foley, Alabama. There is a restraunt called Landrys or Landrums. "Home of the thrown roll." Not tiki, but very cool and famous for the south. There is also a huge outlet mall there if you are taking a wife and some young ones. Go about 5 more miles south to Gulf Shores. Nice beachs, but I am sure not as nice as where you are coming from.

definitely do taboo cove before the night crowd moves in... it can get ugly.
just had lunch at cheeseburger in paradise at the desert passages... the tofu burger wasn't half bad! and the vegas/hawaii memorabilia was fun.

AND don't miss the old stardust aku aku in the park souteast of town.

On 2003-07-16 06:15, Pomaika i wrote:
I also liked the tropical atmosphere of The Mirage (they pump coconut frangrance into the air).

Check out the Lagoon Saloon at the Mirage. If you can tune out the cheesy lounge singers, they whip up some tasty cocktails and the atmosphere, while not pure tiki, is beautiful South Seas.

Have fun and good luck. (Always hit a soft 17!)

Cheeseburger gave me a "Mondo" mai tai (to go) last time we were there for Mondo Tiki. Kinda cool tripin' through the mall on one of those Mondo mai tais!( I'm guessing 32oz.) Very nice Hawaiiana collection too.

That Aku Aku (the only one left that we know of) is at Rainbow Park on a island. The birds own it now!!! Tiki Birds!!! Score!! Hey, when Eli died, he had white hair! Co-weenk-e-dink????

Have a fun trip! Don't go "Down Town!!!!" Unless you want to wake up dead!!! Cheer's Sims!!

I was in Las Vegas a bit ago and went over the place for Tiki and interesting stuffs. Here...

Tiki Las Vegas:

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=4155&forum=1

Shopping for Tiki in Vegas:

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=4153&forum=5

Other stuff in Vegas:

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=4165&forum=6

While more of a desert theme than Tiki or polynesean theme, the Luxor has a bar on the second floor which has several good sized tikis and tiki mugs.

Gary's Island, in the Rio, also features an excellent shop for Hawiian shirts. I purchased a tiki style HS there, at midnight, after carousing at the Vodoo Lounge upstairs. Las Vegas is my kind of town!

If you make it to the Rio, do check out the parade in the sky and free Vegas-style dance shows.

Lastly, it sounds like you don't have the Tiki Road Trip, which is a mistake if you are on a tiki hunt.

all things vegas:

http://www.vegasvics.com/vegas.htm

Definitely check out Venus/Taboo Cove and Cheeseburger at Desert Passage.

Vic

Thanks ya'all for the suggestions, some good ones. Chistitiki-just got mine at the Hulilau, signed to me.

There is a large (Very Cool), carved wooden Tiki Statue outside the front entrance of Screwballs Lounge & Sports Bar located on Warm Springs Road between Industrial Road and South Las Vegas Blvd. It's worth checking out if you venture (way) south on The Strip just past the Belz Outlet Mall.

Pages: 1 11 replies