Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

What's the Story on this Mai Kai Mug?

Pages: 1 5 replies

J
JTD posted on Wed, Jul 16, 2003 6:50 AM

TCers,
OK, it's old. It's from the Mai Kai. Any other reasons why this mug had bidders going bonkers? Not many details in seller's description.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3232666877&category=29460&rd=1

Thanks,
-JTD

p.s. I did try "Search", but putting in "Mai Kai" and "mug" doesn't cut it down too much.

S

It just hasn't come up before. The first of any mug to hit Ebay goes very high, then there is a flood and the prices drop fast. I have actually seen this mug before, but not labeled as a Mai Kai mug, and it went for much less.

E

Gotta admit, it's a sweet mug - like a drum I saw once in an anthro book. but that price, Jeeeezis but it must be nice to have money lying around waiting to blow on one single mug like that. We are beyond my "strata fees, power, water, phone, and cable bills" barometer and into the realm of taking care of the groceries too...

astounded,
em

This and the Hoffman Pottery mugs seem to be among the rarest of the Mai-Kai drinking vessels. Last year, a couple of these drum mugs went for similarly high prices on E-bay, (although I don't think they went this high).

Doctor Z, however found one hidden on E-bay without any of the usual keywords and snagged it for about the opening bid-price of this one. (We held our breath all week, hoping no-one else would stumble upon it like we did). You can see it up close and personal at his fantastic tiki party next weekend.

Sabu

On 2003-07-16 13:02, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
You can see it up close and personal at his fantastic tiki party next weekend.

Next weekend? I thought his party wan't until Next month? August 2nd right?

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=3922&forum=4&12

Sorry 'bout that!

That's right, it's in two weekends. (Whew! That gives me more time to prepare Polynesian Chicken and Shrimp skewers for 200).

Sabu

Pages: 1 5 replies