Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 1-8-2014 Elinor's Birthday

Pages: 1 0 replies

DZ

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: January 8, 2014

On today’s show broadcast on the notable and numinous natal numeral of the good doctor’s canonical wife, Elinor, which comes around every year at this time.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge is broadcast on Wednesdays, 5-6 pm EDT at: http://www.radiofairfax.org The show is broadcast live; no recorded shows are archived. Some fans choose to record it on their computers to listen to later. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and can be streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It also can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

1. “Kou Aloha Mau A Mau” composed by Rev. Dennis Kamakahi and sung and performed on Steel and Slack-Key Guitars by Owana Salazar on her 2002 CD: Wahine Slack ‘N Steel, featuring Ocean Kaowili on Bass.

2. The 1935 recording of the Johnny Mercer and Matt Malneck song: “If You Were Mine” taken from the crystalline collection: The Quintessential Billie Holiday, Volume 1: 1933-1935, with Roy Eldridge on Trumpet; Teddy Wilson on Piano; Dave Barbour on Guitar; Benny Morton on Trombone; Chu Berry on Tenor Sax; John Kirby on String Bass; and Cozy Cole on Drums.

3. “No Down Payment (On Love)” the 1959 recording by Machito and his Orchestra came from the comprehensive compilation: El Padrino.

4. “Just One of Those Things” by Cole Porter for the 1935 Broadway musical: Jubilee, recorded in 1957 and drawn from the historical anthology: Tony Bennett – Jazz, featuring Art Blakey on Drums, Ralph Sharon on Piano, Al Cohn on Tenor Sax, Nat Adderley on Trumpet and Milt Hinton on Bass.

5. “There's a Small Hotel,” composed by Rodgers & Hart 1936 movie: On Your Toes and the 1957 movie version of Pal Joey, Sammy Davis Jr. in a duet with Carmen McRae from the anthemical anthology: Yes, I Can! The Sammy Davis Jr. Story.

6. “Funny” by the Mambo Legends Orchestra, made up of former musicians of the Tito Puente Orchestra, on their CD: Watch Out! !Ten Cuiadao! featuring Frankie Vazquez on Vocal and Peter Brainen on Tenor Sax.

7. “Impossible” sung by Nat King Cole and taken from the creative compilation: The Songs of Steve Allen.

8. “Orgullecida” from the famed 1997 album: Buena Vista Social Club, composed by Eliseo Silveira, with performances by Compay Segundo on Vocal and Guitar, Ry Cooder on Steel Guitar, Eliades Ochas on Guitar, Manuel “Gunjiro” Mirabel on Trumpet, Barbarrito Torres on Laoud, Ruben Gonzalez on Piano, Orlando “Cachaito” Lopez on Bass; Joachim Cooder on Drums. Elinor loves good Latin dance music, and the BVC is one of her particular favorites.

9. “Let There Be Love,” the 1940 song composed by Lionel Rand and Ian Grant and recorded in 1959 by Julie London, found on her Capitol collection: Ultra-Lounge Wild, Cool and Swingin’.

10. “So Nice (Samba De Verao: Summer Samba)” sung by Brazil’s own Wanda De Sah With Sergio Mendes from the 1964 LP: Brazil ’65, tis song was originally composed by Marcus Valle with Lyrics in Portuguese by Paulo Sérgio Valle and English Lyrics by Norman Gimbel.

11. The Rodgers & Hart song “Manhattan” from the 1925 Broadway revue: Garrick Gaieties, sung by Mel Torme on his concomittal concept album: Songs of New York. Elinor lived in New York for 23 years.

12. “I'm With You,” written by Bobby Troup and Johnny Mercer from the 1956 LP: Pick Yourself Up With Anita O’Day, with Bunny Bregman’s Orchestra, including Paul Smith on Piano, Al Hendrickson on Guitar. The song references the Stork Club. Last year Elinor and I saw the Mermen perform at Oakland, California’s Stork Club (and she has the tee shirt to prove it).

13. “You’re My Thrill,” a version of the 1933 song by Jay Gorney and Sidney Clare performed by on Tenor Sax by Benny Golson from his 1961 LP: Take a Number From 1 to 10. In late 2013 we saw Mr. Golson perform at Bohemian Caverns in Washington, DC.

14. “Love You Madly” from the 1956 landmark LP set: Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Duke Ellington Song Book, with Ben Webster on Tenor Sax; Oscar Peterson on Piano; Herb Ellis on Electric Guitar; Ray Brown on Bass; and Alvin Stoller on Drums.

15. “Inutil Paisagem (Useless Landscape),” composed by Aloysio de Oliveira, Antonio Carlos Jobim and Ray Gilbert, sung by Karrin Allyson on her 1999 CD: From Paris to Rio, featuring Danny Embry on Guitar, Bob Bowman on Bass and Todd Strait on Drums. Elinor and I saw Ms. Allyson perform at Blues Alley in Washington, DC.

Pages: 1 0 replies