Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

THE MAI KAI IS FOR SALE!!!! Uncle Trav's mini Mai Kai that is. One of a kind miniature up for bid

Pages: 1 13 replies

UT

I really hate to have to do it but my miniature Mai Kai model is up for bid on eBay. Totally hand made by me. This has been my largest build to date 11 1/2" long. Many many hours of work and the only model Mai Kai anywhere. I hope it finds a good home and thanks for taking a look. Here is a link to the auction.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=191029382526&globalID=EBAY-US

Here is a link the the thread showing all of my miniatures to date.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=33960&forum=18&290

"Anyone who has ever seen them is thereafter haunted as if by a feverish dream" Karl Woermann

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2014-01-08 15:52 ]

Well I hate to see it go because I know the amount of love that went into it. But I also know that the lucky bidder will treasure it for that same reason. Awesome job Uncle Trav you are a true artist.

BK

Great piece, Trav! Good luck with the sale.

M
Murph posted on Thu, Jan 9, 2014 11:18 AM

Nice work!

T

Love it!

You need to build a Walgreens now to put on the shelf where that once sat
after it sells.

M
Murph posted on Thu, Jan 9, 2014 12:05 PM

Nice work!

Ouch! That hurts, Skip!

Thanks guys. No Walgreens for my shelf Skip, to many of the things around here already. Our one remaining relic of classic tiki in this town was torn down to make room for a Carrabba's. Not building that either.

"Anyone who has ever seen them is thereafter haunted as if by a feverish dream" Karl Woermann

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2014-01-09 13:00 ]

S

Well, the glass on the sides is angled wrong. Should be vertical. On the right side should be a covered area that comes up to form a very shallow "V". The doors are like the modern doors. At this time the doors looked like the menu with the Cannibal trio on the left and "Mai Kai" on the right door. The decoration on the front of the building didn't come until later. The A-frame did not come just to the side windows. The A-frame was well inside as there were/are dining rooms on either side in the wings. The area to the right of the entrance was not glass...

Great work. A couple of tiny palm trees in the open area inside would really make it. Can you do tiny LEDs and make the various lamps?

Do you have images of it incorporated into a scene? I'd love to see it in situ.

TT

My heart skipped a beat when I saw the first part of your subject line. Damn you! Awesome piece though, someone is really going to love having that.

Thanks guys. My inspiration for the build came mainly from postcards and photos here on TC and a few of my own. I live up in Michigan and have been to the Mai Kai twice in the past few years. Like most folks I was blown away by my visits. As I said while I was building the miniature in my thread " I still have some work to do but I hope folks will recognize this model when they see it. Once again not an exact copy but a blend of my imagination and the real thing. " As for mini lighting and foliage I'd have to go full blown diorama. I have thought about ramping up the builds another notch but for now these are something I do to keep myself busy when work is slow. Thanks again.

Thanks for all of the views of the auction. It ends this evening !!

FM

I would love to see your other builds also, this is sweet!

Amazing!

Pages: 1 13 replies