Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Two tiki lamps - anyone seen anything like them?

Pages: 1 6 replies

Hi all - newbie here, Started getting into tiki after purchasing our vintage 1960 home earlier this year and deciding to begin converting the back porch/utility room into a tiki porch/bar (actually, more of a combo tiki-"aviation" bar, as hubby is a retired navy fighter pilot and I needed someplace to stash all of his "I love me" stuff! :wink: ) Anyway, today while at a consignment shop, I came across these two tiki style lamps - one male looking, one female-ish looking. They definitely look vintage to me as have old green felt on the bottom. They came with two obviously vintage (and hideous) lampshades. They are very heavy and abt. 2' tall w/out the lampshades.The price was right, so I bought them to put in the tiki-ation bar. After trying to research them, I'm coming up blank. Haven't find anything like them online. I'm wondering if anyone here can tell me if they have seen this style before? Could they be Witco? There are no defining markings on them. Thanks for any input!

8T

Sorry I can't tell you anything about them except....I love them and congrats to you for finding them!

They are not Witco, but appear to be "Hawaiian tourist" carved lamps
from the 1960s or 70s, they look very nice & would be at home in any Tiki Bar
are they marked at all?

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-01-09 15:51 ]

TM

Pretty damn cool find!

M

In my opinion the dark one could be Witco, it has the right grain and the carve may be a little better then Witco. there was a couple of companies that did Witco like items.

T

Wow. what State do you two live in? Great find. Keep going back to the place you found em, you might find some more great finds. Keep that place a hidden secret.
Can you post a picture of the lamp shades? Is that em in the background>?

Mahalo,

TikiVato

[ Edited by: TikiVato 2014-01-10 19:39 ]

[ Edited by: TikiVato 2014-01-10 19:45 ]

Thanks guys! I'm afraid I can find no other markings at all on either lamp. The lamp components appear to be of the same age as the statues, which leads me to believe they more than likely were originally sold as lamps and not statues which were later converted. Both lamps are the same color - one just appears lighter due to the flash on my camera. They both have a kind of "grooved" texture to the grain - i.e., not completely smooth to the touch. We're located near a navy base in Florida, so it's possible these could have come from the estate of someone who may have been stationed in Hawaii. Regardless, we love 'em and are happy to share our find! A few more pics - not the best, but you can see the lampshade better (which, btw, are growing on us!). The last pic is a close-up of the light socket (it is a 3-way lamp). Can't tell if that's an "a","f", or "p" on the knob.

Pages: 1 6 replies