Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Glass Floats at TJMaxx

Pages: 1 6 replies

Sending out a heads up that I was just in a TJMaxx and they had their glass floats out on the shelf. Every year they get these in. Seems kind of early, but their Spring and nautical mdse is being put out now. The store I was in had three sizes and they came in a green, aqua, and one was almost a purple (kind of weird). They ranged in size from 6 inch (6.99), 8 inch (19.99) and 10 inch (24.99).

Here's a few pics:

In previous years I have also bought them in clear and I think amber and blue (still packed away in the garage so going by memory--it's really hit or miss what they put out). I know there has been a size larger than 10 inches as well.

If you are in the market and seeking these out, you should also start checking out HomeGoods and Marshalls (sister companies of TJMaxx). Usually these get put out and sell out quickly. They may or may not restock during the spring/summer.

FM

Oceanic Arts carries them for a comparable price, if these stores sell out.

They've sold them the past few years, but be aware they're VERY thin glass.

The small 6-inch ones in my store did look like the glass was thin. You could see waves in the glass and the green glass was lighter (due to thinness). So I agree you shouldn't just put one in your cart without examining it. Guess it all depends on how it was blown. Of course these aren't Japanese glass floats either. I can add that the larger floats at my location, however, seemed to be a decent thickness. I ended up buying two of the aqua ones that were 8-inches. Tapped on the glass a bit and it seemed sturdy. Sure it's hit or miss in the stores. Also depends how you want to display them too I would guess. I could see maybe using the 6-inch balls in a table bowl or on a buffet table if doing a party.

Unfortunately I don't live anywhere near Oceanic Arts to check them out and I never see glass floats anywhere I shop except for the annual stocking by the TJMaxx companies. If you're in a situation like me and have these stores in your area, I do think it's worth checking out.

[ Edited by: Polly_Nesia 2014-01-15 20:16 ]

Looks like very similar floats are available at Hobby Lobby as well:

I believe they were $19 for the triple ball and $12 for the single.

FM

On 2014-01-15 20:11, Polly_Nesia wrote:
The small 6-inch ones in my store did look like the glass was thin. You could see waves in the glass and the green glass was lighter (due to thinness). So I agree you shouldn't just put one in your cart without examining it. Guess it all depends on how it was blown. Of course these aren't Japanese glass floats either. I can add that the larger floats at my location, however, seemed to be a decent thickness. I ended up buying two of the aqua ones that were 8-inches. Tapped on the glass a bit and it seemed sturdy. Sure it's hit or miss in the stores. Also depends how you want to display them too I would guess. I could see maybe using the 6-inch balls in a table bowl or on a buffet table if doing a party.

Unfortunately I don't live anywhere near Oceanic Arts to check them out and I never see glass floats anywhere I shop except for the annual stocking by the TJMaxx companies. If you're in a situation like me and have these stores in your area, I do think it's worth checking out.

[ Edited by: Polly_Nesia 2014-01-15 20:16 ]

If you ever need anything from Oceanic Arts, I would be happy to go get it. Any excuse to go there is cool with me!

A

Spotted in the UK too:

I have a small red one but I keep checking back to see what they get in :)

Pages: 1 6 replies