Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

An Actual Real Glass Float Tiki Lamp

Pages: 1 7 replies

An Actual Real Glass Float Tiki Lamp, manufactured for and meant to be a light. Not mine, but nice to see a rare actual frosted glass lamp with hole. Seen better days but cool to see nonetheless.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/173311826/vintage-large-antique-glass-fishing-net?ref=sr_gallery_1&ga_search_query=tiki+glass+float&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=all

T

These are hard to find.
But it's got cracks in it, AND it's $45.00 bucks with no net or light.
Have seen these before but they are like $100.00 bucks sans crack, no net or light.
I don't buy cracked glass or mugs, never know when that crack is going to go all the way.
Especially if you add a light and heat up said globe to help that crack along.(Hot + cold=crack)

•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•
HAPPY VALENTINES DAY from TIKISKIP! Now buy your lover a Light!!

Lights for home and
commercial TIKI bars.

I just came across a storage unit with several glass floats from the Beachcomber Polynesian Restaurant circa 1960s. All of mine are free from cracks and in great shape. They have been in storage for about 40 years.
There are some 10 and 12 inch with the original nets. I have amber, turquoise and green. They are blown glass and have about a 3 inch hole for a light socket. I checked with Oceanic Arts and they have lights to go inside theirs for $10. For the actual floats at OA they want $160.00 for a 12 inch.
I might be willing to part with a few for the right price.

T

Those are nice.
They are tied just like the ones I have from Kahiki.
That's a washer on the bottom of the float being used as a ring.

Lights this size are kinda heavy so take care and make sure every now and then that
the cordage used to tie these is not getting ready to break.

Hey if it's not nylon (and these are not) one day that rope is going to rot.
Helps to keep them inside away from sunlight too.

Tiki Skip you are right about the netting, I would like to put some new ones on the few I keep for myself. Cant be that hard to figure out, I hope.

T

"Cant be that hard to figure out, I hope."

It is a long process more tedious than hard.
kinda like kniting, I don't knit so I guess it is.

BUT, get way more rope than you think you need, then get more
and that will be the right amt.

This one looks about that size.
Have tied from the size of a marble up to 13 inches wide.

Good luck!!

‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›•:TIKISKIP:•:MAKES:•:FLOAT:•:LIGHTS:•‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›

‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›

That looks like fine bit of stinging. That blue float looks great tikiskip. Do you start at the bottom? There has to be a thread on how to do this. I have so many questions, do you use several ropes? what kind of knot do you tie?

T

"There has to be a thread on how to do this."

There is kinda of, it's a link to a place on the web that gives a sort of how to.
It's is where I went when I started to tie floats.
But I used some of his ideas and then tweaked them to come up with the way I tie floats.

Am at this time trying to get that way, my way to tie floats down on paper with pic's and
all the numbers and guides that I use to tie each size float.

It took a long time to tie say a four inch float then dail in the right amt of
rope to tie that size.
Then I moved on to five inch and eight inch on and on as it takes different numbers for each size globe and net square size.

At this time I don't want to give say another light maker the way so he can then come
back and beat me at my own game really.

I guarantee that is exactly what would happen.

Pages: 1 7 replies