Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Tikipedia music articles LIST YOUR BAND!

Pages: 1 6 replies

TM

As many of you know, tiki tacky and nomeus are constructing a Tikipedia, a resource for all things tiki. The new website will need articles! This is an open call for all the tiki bands out there.....your chance for your own page. Please send me a bio, (via PMs) about your band. preferable written in the 3rd person, just like wikipedia does....if you never had a wikipedia article for your band, now is your chance! So all the surf bands jeff hanson promotes on this forum, as well as all the tiki bands that have been here since the beginning of this forum, tikiyaki, martini kings, hula girls,Ape, Mr. Ho, Tiki Joe's ocean, tiki cowboys,Swinging tikis, ixtahuele, martini kings, king kukulele, Ding Dong Devils, Mai Kai gents, stolen idols, narco lounge, left arm of Buddha etc....this is a great opportunity for you! The articles don't have to be bible-length, but please include when your band formed, the style of music you consider it, the names of the band members, albums you have released and notable gigs you have done....I am new at this, but if we can at least get the information down now, I will figure out with the other moderators how to create the pages.....

we will get to the original tiki bands as well, but this will be a good start. I would also like to hear from defunct bands....or bands that I don't personally know the members of...project pimento, nutty, sonny moon, thurston howlies, etc......anyone can write the articles....

http://soundcloud.com/lucas-vigor/sets/set-3/

I AM A SOCIOPATH!

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2014-01-21 08:49 ]

[ Edited by: Lucas Vigor 2014-01-23 12:35 ]

I have been hoping someone would do this for years!

TM

Yeah...I think it is long overdue. It's true, wikipedia has some artists there....Tony Marisco, Jim bacchi, for example...but they are small articles with not a lot of tiki-centric content....I think we can do better!

For those who want to contribute but feel they don't know enough about a subject, remember that any info is better than none at all. If there's a group or artist you think should be listed, just state what you know and let others fill in the rest.

And thanks to Lucas for working to get everyone listed!

TM

As for tie-ins (to quote jeff Big tiki dude Hanson), if your band performed at oasis, tiki caliente, hukilau, ohana at the lake, Mojave oasis,etc or any of the big tiki events....please do a band page!

And PS, there are some bands who no longer post here. if anyone knows the band leaders, please inform them of this thread....they may not post on tiki central any more, but they were performing at key events, even back at the beginning of the tiki movement....had an impact and influence on other tiki bands, and deserve to have their information archived!
For example, Judd (Iuka Grog) from the Mai Kai gents has not posted here for a while...but the Mai Kai gents were one of the original tiki bands! Please let him know!

I AM A SOCIOPATH!

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2014-01-21 08:14 ]

TM

Also, we welcome the input of any music experts out there to write articles about the original tiki bands....open call to all you podcasters to contribute!

Yeah, there is already a wikipedia you say....but wikipedia articles are often wrong, and written by non-experts....we want to do better for tikipedia! Savvy?

TM

Folks, you don't have to go through me to submit an article.....please visit the page and sign up, then you can add an article for your band! I just tested the system by doing one for my own band:

http://www.thetikipedia.com/doku/doku.php?id=music:hapa_haole:the_smokin_menehunes

and it works really good. Don't have a wikipedia article? Now is your chance to have a TIKIPEDIA article, which will be much better!

I AM A SOCIOPATH!

[ Edited by: Lucas Vigor 2014-02-08 10:38 ]

Pages: 1 6 replies