Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 1-22-14 Exotica

Pages: 1 2 replies

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: January 22, 2014

On this week’s show we once again attempted to penetrate the penumbral plentitude of pop and exotica in all of its effluvial emanations.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge is broadcast on Wednesdays, 5-6 pm EDT at: http://www.radiofairfax.org The show is broadcast live; no recorded shows are archived. Some fans choose to record it on their computers to listen to later. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and can be streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It also can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

1. “Wai'alae” by the beloved Hawaiian singer Emma Veary from her historical anthology: The Best of Emma.

2. “ID” taken from the album oddity Exotica -- The Sensuous Sounds of the Sonny Lester Orchestra, featuring Al Caiola on Electric Guitar.

3. “Love Attack” by the Slack-Key Guitar master Kapono Beamer from his 1996 CD: Sunny Holiday, with Vernon Sakata on Guitar; Kimo Cornwell and Laslo Bencker on Keyboards; Dave Inamine on Bass; Larry Lieberman on Percussion; Bob Wilson on Drums recorded in Honolulu and The Philharmonic Strings recorded separately in Budapest, then all mixed in Munich.

4. “Leaning on a Lampost,” the 1940s hit for the English ukulele-playing novelty songster George Formby in the contemporary version voiced by the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain on their recording: The Secret of Life.

5. “Love Is Just Around the Corner,” composed by Lewis E. Gensler and Leo Robin and used in both the 1934 movie: Here Is My Heart and the 1935 film: Millions in the Air, performed here by in a 1952 version by Billy May and His Orchestra from the collection: Billy’s Best.

6. “Market Place,” composed and performed on flute by proto-hippy and the composer of Nature Boy, Eden Ahbez on his 1960 LP: Eden’s Island, featuring an arrangement by former Stan Kenton pianist Paul Moer.

7. “Papagayo” by Les Baxter and His Orchestra from his 1959 Jungle Jazz LP.

8. “Bacoa,” taken from the copious compilation: The Exotic Sounds of Martin Denny.

9. “By The Sea I Will Stay Forever” by The Mermen from their CD: Krill Slippin’ featuring Jim Thomas on Guitar and Allen Whitman on Bass.

10. “Tico Tico (No Fubá)” the 1917 song by the Brazilian composer Zequinha de Abreu performed by the Hot Club of Hulaville on their scintillacious CD: Django Would Go! featuring Ginai on Vocal, Duane Padilla on Violin and Gonzalo Bergara on Guitar.

11. “The Secret Drawer” by Bela Fleck & The Flecktones on their 2011 album: Rocket Science, with Roy “Futureman” Wooten on Marimba and Percussion.

12. “Volcano” by the Hula Girls from their auspicious album: The Curse of the Tiki, featuring Spike Marble and Erin Duffy on Vocals, Gary Brandin on Steel Guitar, DJ Bonebrake on Vibes and Crazy Al on Coconuts and Bird Calls.

13. “Shrinking Up Fast,” the 1950 record by Camille Howard included on the copious compilation: Mambo Jukebox – Rumba and Afro Latin Accented Rhythm & Blues 1949-1960.

14. The 1966 waxed wonder “Exotica” composed by John Orlando by and performed by Pepe Jamarillo and His Latin American Rhythm from the choleric collection: Swingin’ Cheese – Croon Tunes and Kitscherama.

15. “And Then You're Gone” by Pink Martini from their 2009 CD: Splendor in the Grass, featuring China Forbes on Vocal.

16. The Mario Bauza composition “Coisa Nova” recorded in1963 by Machito and appearing on his righteous retrospective: El Padrino, featuring Graciela on Vocal.

17. “Dance on Vaseline” by David Byrne, remixed by Thievery Corporation on their anacreonic album: Abductions and Reconstructions.

[ Edited by: Dr. Zarkov 2014-01-22 21:15 ]

TM

Great Selection!

I would like to add that track 12, "Volcano", by the Hula girls, also features Lucas Vigor on bass, background vocals and percussion. (in case anyone cared), as well as Dominic Tucci on drums and vocals...here is a picture of Dom and I, in the studio, recording this great song!

Volcano is one of my favorite songs on that album, by the way.

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2014-01-23 05:58 ]

DZ

On 2014-01-23 05:54, lucas vigor wrote:
Great Selection!

I would like to add that track 12, "Volcano", by the Hula girls, also features Lucas Vigor on bass, background vocals and percussion. (in case anyone cared), as well as Dominic Tucci on drums and vocals...here is a picture of Dom and I, in the studio, recording this great song!

Volcano is one of my favorite songs on that album, by the way.

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2014-01-23 05:58 ]

Thanks for adding the info, Lucas. When I say "featuring" that usually means musicians who soloed or had an especially prominent role on that track. I would love to list all of the musicians on every track but that can get a bit unwieldy, especially when you are dealing with larger aggregations, like Duke Ellington's Orchestra.

Pages: 1 2 replies