Tiki Central / General Tiki

abandoned coco palms

Pages: 1 12 replies

N
TM

That menu!

I wish I could eat those!

A

Looking at the Coco Palms cocktail menu, I was wondering if I could find a recipe for the Flaming Torch. Did a Google search and found one from the Long Beach Independent Press-Telegram, Dec. 13, 1964 (page 84) that's supposedly from the Coco Palms:

After dinner, we might enjoy a FlamingTorch at Grace W. Buscher's fabled Coco Palms Resort Hotel at Lihue, on Kauai, Hawaii. Miss Buscher's Flaming Torch is seldom overlooked by knowledgeable guests. For years, some of the competitive hotels experimented to copy this potation, but they could not seem to come up with one that would taste so good and at the same time produce a bright flame. Actually, the formula is very simple -- and delicious. Fill a sturdy (one that will not crack with heat) small glass two-thirds full of white creme de menthe, cover with Southern Comfort, and set fire.

I didn't even know Southern Comfort could be set on fire.

[ Edited by: arriano 2014-01-24 10:10 ]

The original Southern Comfort was a 100-proof product that is still usually available alongside the modern 70 proof incarnation. I have a feeling they were using the 100 proof version here.

Southern Comfort 100: Now, even more comforting!

My friend and I in college hung out with a couple crazy servers, that would always buy us "Blue Flames", which was a small pony glass with amaretto topped with Southern Comfort and ignited. The small flame was blue (of course) in color and I am pretty sure it was the 70 proof version. We made them at the off campus house in shot glasses and I singed my 'stash.:o

so so sad!!!! do people just show up there and cart off items at will???? wish They would have a giant yard sale!!!!

A

On 2014-01-24 10:51, Sunny&Rummy wrote:

The original Southern Comfort was a 100-proof product that is still usually available alongside the modern 70 proof incarnation. I have a feeling they were using the 100 proof version here.

Well, I did a search and discovered that apparently SC 100 proof is still made. Shows what I know.

On 2014-01-24 11:26, Pele Paul wrote:
so so sad!!!! do people just show up there and cart off items at will???? wish They would have a giant yard sale!!!!

They finally have sort level of security there now, since the rebuild is a go. But yeah, for over 20 years, it wasn't hard for thieves to get in. It's a huge property.
I'm hoping for some sort of sale, too, after they figure out what they aren't going to re-use. I covet one of the cool hanging lamps I can see in every window as I drive by.

PP

wow, Im so glad to hear they are going to rebuild!!! excuse my ignorance, but what happened to it?? was no one going to your island anymore? God what a shame to see it just a shell of its former glory!!!!

It was functionally destroyed by Hurricane Iniki in 1992, along with most other resort hotels, and thousands of homes and businesses. For whatever reasons, everything else eventually got rebuilt and reopened, but CCP has sat in ruins since that day.

This "creepy abandoned hotels" article came out a couple of days ago (Sep 26, 2016) on Oyster.com and it includes the Coco Palms. It does not, however, mention all the current activities related to re-constructing and re-opening the place. Anyone who reads this and decides to go to the Coco Palms now and without doing more research will be disappointed to find a closed-off and guarded active construction site. But still, it's a fun read if you want to see the Coco Palms along with some other abandoned hotels in the US. Link to the full article, and screen captures of the Coco Palms piece, are below. Have fun!

Creepy Abandoned Hotels Across the U.S.

T

Coco Palms was also in South Park episode season 16 episode 11 called "Going Native".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Going_Native

Pages: 1 12 replies