Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

what is that green jade stone tile called?

Pages: 1 12 replies

PP

Hello,
Im trying to find some vintage vinyl flooring in the roll, that looks like that ugly green jade stone. I remember as a kid, so many people had this stuff and always reminds me of those homes! hoping to find enough to cover maybe a half garage size. My problem is does anyone know the official term/name for this pattern? thanks in advance!

like this

Search for green slate vinyl.

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2014-01-30 06:18 ]

PP

On 2014-01-30 06:15, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:
Search for green slate vinyl.

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2014-01-30 06:18 ]

thanks so much, I was racking my brain trying to figure out what to look for!!!!!

Her name is Diane.....what? Tile?

T

I remember that pattern from my floor covering days in the 80s. A couple companies made it, Congoleum and Tarkett. It's called flagstone. Mannington still has it in a line called Magnitude, and Congoleum calls it Inspire Parador, but neither are in the green color. You'd probably have to find a store that has 30 year old stock.

Thanks for the memories. :)

Edit: If you actually could find old stock, it would probably be falling apart. The backing on the old vinyl sheet flooring would dry out if it wasn't glued down within a few years.

[ Edited by: tikigreg 2014-01-30 18:45 ]

PP

like this.........

Flagstone was exactly my thought, but I always saw it in those more brown/rock colors as in your second picture rather than specifically in the jade color. I always loved it.

H

forty some odd years ago when I worked at a stoneyard we sold a lot of flagstone called Colonial Green. Some of it was darker green than this photo shows

the last picture I posted is on a vinyl roll, not quite the green I wanted, but there is always the option of painting the floor like several of the members have done here and make it as green as I want, unless I can find some jade green sandstone......

About dyes and vinyl...

I've been working on another project in another application where I've run into the need to dye plastic. I just ordered, and will be testing soon, some magic in a bottle to color plastics. A company called "Narad Corporation" sells petroleum dye in many colors. This stuff is to be mixed with Methyl Ethyl Ketone ("MEK") and allows you to dye PVC and other plastics, maybe even vinyl, by bonding with the chemistry of the material. This stuff is not paint but an actual dye. Everything I've read tells me that brown and green versions of the dye could also be very good to use with vinyl flooring.

It comes in 1oz bottles for $11 plus shipping and is mixed at a rate of 1ml dye to 4oz MEK.

I haven't tested this stuff yet, and I will soon. But hey, since you all could benefit from this, I thought I'd share this here right now ahead of my upcoming work with it. You can look this stuff up on the web, maybe it's something you'd like to try? If you don't try it, then I will definitely find some scrap vinyl and test it myself in the next few weeks and report back here and also post some photos.

Ok, so re-reading that stuff above, it could really be taken for spammish "sales" email, heh......

PP

Thanks Ace!!! yea that would be great!!!

On 2014-01-31 12:21, AceExplorer wrote:
About dyes and vinyl...

I've been working on another project in another application where I've run into the need to dye plastic. I just ordered, and will be testing soon, some magic in a bottle to color plastics. A company called "Narad Corporation" sells petroleum dye in many colors. This stuff is to be mixed with Methyl Ethyl Ketone ("MEK") and allows you to dye PVC and other plastics, maybe even vinyl, by bonding with the chemistry of the material. This stuff is not paint but an actual dye. Everything I've read tells me that brown and green versions of the dye could also be very good to use with vinyl flooring.

It comes in 1oz bottles for $11 plus shipping and is mixed at a rate of 1ml dye to 4oz MEK.

I haven't tested this stuff yet, and I will soon. But hey, since you all could benefit from this, I thought I'd share this here right now ahead of my upcoming work with it. You can look this stuff up on the web, maybe it's something you'd like to try? If you don't try it, then I will definitely find some scrap vinyl and test it myself in the next few weeks and report back here and also post some photos.

Ok, so re-reading that stuff above, it could really be taken for spammish "sales" email, heh......

Did you ever try dying vinyl? What were your results?

Oops, I'm busted! Nope, I didn't get around to trying it yet, but I have everything pretty much ready to go. Reminder that I bought several vinyl flooring tiles, and I bought several colors of specialized petroleum-based dyes. My hope is that these dyes will work well, and will penetrate vinyl tile far enough to survive many years of wear-and-tear without losing the color. (That's what I'm going to test -- first by dying the material, then by carefully cutting into it with a knife to see how deep the colors made it.)

Thanks for the reminder - I'm going to pick this up again soon. The vinyl tiles are sitting flat in my office at home, in plain sight. The small bottles of dye are squirreled away somewhere, but shouldn't be too hard to find. Now is as good a time as any for me to do this, so your reminder is appreciated.

Pages: 1 12 replies