Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Easter Island documentary on the BBC

Pages: 1 9 replies

T

So did anyone see the documentary on the BBC 4 last week all about new theories on the demise of the Rapa Nui on Easter island,Very informative and makes me want see the place even more, But its a long way from England!, Not sure if American viewers can see it on the world service

I watched it last night. Bloody good program, it makes me want to visit Rapa Nui even more.

[ Edited by: Kon-Hemsby 2014-02-05 04:35 ]

A

Just watched it on catch up - good program, it presented some more views I hadn't heard yet!

Love to have the title and other pertinent facts like the host or writer. For you readers out there (not viewers) I recommend reading "Statues that Walk" (2012) by Terry Hunt and Carl Lipo. Although somewhat associated with the Nova/National Geographic documentary titled: "Mystery of Easter Island" (2012). Both media involve Hunt & Lipo (book as writers, doc. as subject matter) but ironically the "Mystery of Easter Island" documentary is all about statues (moai) that walk while the book devotes only one and a half chapters to the "walking moai" theory and the rest of the book, especially chapter 9, "The Collapse" which briefly but powerfully educates us readers of the tragic Rapa Nui relationship with the west over the last couple of centuries. I wonder if the BBC doc. is about this sad history. "Statues that Walk" to me is a must read for anybody interested Rapa Nui.

FYI I'm a natural viewer but I have to read the books to at least pretend I have a somewhat knowledgeable background. :)

[ Edited by: creativenative 2014-02-06 18:13 ]

[ Edited by: creativenative 2014-02-06 18:17 ]

Can't seem to make it play.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01q9wjs

I can't play it either. But from the looks of the 3 clips it's a BBC documentary on the same Hunt and Lipo. Just don't know what subject they cover besides the walking moai. Love to see the whole doc. I guess us Yanks have to wait awhile before the BBC offers it on DVD. Ummmmph! I'm impatient as a young child. Ask my wife. :)

Tiki Movies & Tiki TV @ southseascinema.org

[ Edited by: creativenative 2014-02-07 18:33 ]

Downloading it now. Thanks for the tip.

T

And of course there's this...

http://www.bigstonehead.com

(there's only seven of the tiki mugs left for sale, world-wide!)

T

Its been repeated a couple of times if anyone missed it.

Watched it a few nights ago. The thesis makes sense. Nice to see the Rapa Nui having a voice. Would have loved to see more on the Moai, but good doc for sure.

Pages: 1 9 replies