Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Tiki Bike

Pages: 1 16 replies

OK, we had the Tiki Car thread, hows about the Tiki Bike thread?

Now that we're back in San Diego County, my wife's buggin' me to buy myself a bike ("Have you been looking at motorcycles again? Well, why not?" Awww, don't you wish you had my problems?), and I was mentally debating Tiki-fying it.

Has anyone here done this, or know of good examples?

I'm debating such atrocities as a Tiki mask fairing with headlamps for eyes & colored lights behind the mouth; bamboo covering the gastank; tromp l'oil bamboo painting the pipes; small painted images of Disney characters in the Enchanted Tiki Room and/or wearing Tiki masks; miniature glass-eyed tikis hanging from the ends of the handlebars like fringe; fake glass fishing floats as taillights; painting the gastank as a hawaiian state flag; painting the gastank as an american flag with Hibiscus flowers for stars; imitation tapas cloth saddles...

I'm open to suggestions, pro & con, and would love to see photos of anyone's Tiki projects that'd relate to this.

T

I thought you meant bicycle, and I got excited. Ah well. Am I really the only person in this forum who doesn't drive a gas-fuelled vehicle?

(no, Im not some crazy hippie - just don't have a license as I live in Toronto and don't need one)

Yeah, I know, I grew up in NYC and didn't have a license to drive 'til I moved to LA @ 22 years old, and then it was a motorcycle license. I didn't have a class "C" car license 'til I was 25.

I'll gladly take any Tiki Bicycle tips you have, I'll probably be getting a new Fat Tire 18 speed hill-runner eventually, too.

On 2003-07-18 06:06, tikifish wrote:
I thought you meant bicycle, and I got excited. Ah well. Am I really the only person in this forum who doesn't drive a gas-fuelled vehicle?

(no, Im not some crazy hippie - just don't have a license as I live in Toronto and don't need one)

E

Am I really the only person in this forum who doesn't drive a gas-fuelled vehicle?

You are NOT alone Tikifish! Despite constant pressure from Mrs. emspace to get licensed (and I'd better now that Baby emspace has come along), I have never had a driver's license. I am at the learner's permit stage, but still have only actually driven like a half-dozen times.

Sing with me: "Who's the biggest freak in TC, it's emspace!"

:), em

I'm sure that everyone has seen the "Taboo Tiki" beach cruiser that was designed by Von Franco and made by Dyno Kustom Kruisers a couple of years ago...
Anyway, it's a pretty sweet ride, as are all of the Dyno bikes. Unfortunately, GT has stopped producing Dynos but they can still be found on ebay and such.
Just thought I'd throw that out there...
Aloha,
:tiki:

For anyone who missed the "Taboo Tiki" ...

emspace ... you'd look great on one!

All hail the freaky tiki!

[ Edited by: CruzinTiki on 2003-07-18 20:44 ]

E

Cruzin, you are so right! Talk about an attention-getter...I love cruisers. Those orange rims, that light!

:), em.

Last time I did the Rosarito to Ensenada bike ride, there was this jolly fellow riding his Taboo Cruiser up "the hill" in flip-flops and a big straw hat. Beach cruisers a too cool, but they are not for long distances(fifty miles) or steep grades. Respect for the tiki boy.

I'm another one, Tikifish! My wife drives and I can ride the whole way to work off-road. No need for an extra car...

BTW My main bike is a Kona (Lavadome), surely the most Tiki of the decent mountain bike brands. They even have a model named 'Tiki', which is sadly rather low-grade.

Trader Woody

PS... the Taboo Tiki was designed by a forum member here, the infamous Kustom-Kultured "Von Franco"!!! He doesn't post much, but he's here.

I saw a greaser riding a Taboo Tiki down Mountain View's main street just last week. Pretty cool!

~Hanford

If I'm not mistaken, I think he was at Tiki Oasis. There was also a Taboo Tiki Kruiser on display in the vendor area. Not sure who it belongs to but Von Franco was signing it for them. Wish I had brought my Tiki Kruiser.

Man, How cool is this.
This is the best cruiser I've ever seen.
Don't park it near the beach fire.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3619413140&category=7298

A Tiki Cheers To You!

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2003-07-26 16:25 ]

That's awesome! I just don't know how comfy the seat looks.

Check out these bamboo bikes at:
http://www.vagabondimports.com/bike.htm
There's even a bamboo trike for the kiddies.

This is a classic example when the Ebay seller exaggerates "Super original I have seen these for sale before for over $700.00".
Thanks for the link Tiki Rider Five-O!

T

A guy named Scott wrote me at TBRP and enclosed this pic. He says: "I raced this bike at The ABA Worlds in Reno last month in the 46-50 year old class, I came in fifth."

Okay doke.

Pages: 1 16 replies