Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Miss Teen USA 2003 filming at the Caliente tropics Resort in America's Desert Playground!

Pages: 1 9 replies

C

OK, so I know you're all laughing right now, but come hell or high water, the masses will be exposed to some form of the Tiki genre! Check out the Pageant at http://www.MissUniverse.com and join millions around the world as they watch on Tuesday, August 12, on NBC. The Caliente tropics Resort will be hosting a "Polynesian-style" evening poolside party, prior to the main convention center event.

It's not quite clear if additional assistance will be needed that day, but if anybody wants to "help-out" or be "on-hand" that night, email me. Al, Holden and Ben, stop drooling (NOW!).

Mahalo!

[ Edited by: [email protected] on 2003-07-17 18:38 ]

Casey-I'll be gettin back from N.Y that day with my family!(shame on you). Looks like Mr.H and C'Al will have to "torment the tropics" without me! And by the way, "they are the crazy ones." I just push them here and there! And, torture too! (now you got Mrs. Boo giving me the "stink eye!") Mahalo!

Wow, just the title of this thread gives me shivers: female teens and strong rum drinks! sounds like a lot of trouble...
seems to me you all need an attorney at hand - and I'm willing to offer my services for just the price of two air tix from oakland and a couple hundred mai tais...

Jen X

C

Update:

Tonight was the prelims and can I just say how incredibly sexist this whole thing is? I mean who the hell ever thought of bikinis and spiked heals as an outfit? At one point, I simply started laughing because it was so assinine!

But honestly, the girls are incredibly bright, goal-oriented, charming and engaging. They're well-manered and a joy to be around (no doubt they're on their best behavior).

Cross your fingers gang! We hope to get at least 10 seconds (with some voice over description and history) of the CTR on international TV. Tune-in on NBC, on Tuesday, August 12.

T

The real question is,
will you think about all us little people who stood by you until you got all famous and shit?

F

On 2003-08-08 00:47, [email protected] wrote:
Update:

I mean who the hell ever thought of bikinis and spiked heals as an outfit?

Uh, straight guys? :)

Were the girls complaining? That kind of outfit can be quite fun to wear...

[ Edited by: floratina on 2003-08-09 09:28 ]

P

On 2003-08-09 01:01, floratina wrote:

On 2003-08-08 00:47, [email protected] wrote:
Update:

Tonight was the prelims and can I just say how incredibly sexist this whole thing is? I mean who the hell ever thought of bikinis and spiked heals as an outfit?

Uh, straight guys? :)

Damn straight!

S

Did the Tropics get cut? I saw a flash of the sign, but no Tikis. I watched that whole damned show hoping to get a peek at the place we hope to be enjoying this coming mothers day (with many of you out there), but I didn't see it. A whole hour wasted, just watching beautiful teenage girls. Do you think they'll replay it??
Actually it was great to see Oregon win! we grow'em good up here.

I watched the whole dang thing too, and while I always have to cheer for Miss Texas (which is easy 'cause she ALWAYS makes Top Ten), I LOVED Oregon! A genuine, likeable cutie. Y'all DO grow 'em good up there.

But how disappointing that all we saw of our beloved Caliente Tropics was a flash of the sign! Those girls shoulds been sashaying in their bikinis and high heels by the beautiful CT TIKIS! NOt at the water park!

Actually there was four (count 'em, four) shots of the CTR. However, they were so quick, or if you didn't know what you were looking at, you wouldn't know it was us. We were disappointed, to say the least.

Palm Springs is negotiating for a return of the show next year. It's exceptionally good as promotion of our destination. However, the participating hotels footed most of the bill with in-kind contributions and got the least recognition.

We're not pleased and I have actively voiced my displeasure (I have a reputation in town for "speaking up.")

I'm sitting here fuming because I'm reliving it again. I sincerely appreciate your support!

Pages: 1 9 replies