Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Rum Knife! - Khukri XXX Rum from Nepal

Pages: 1 7 replies

V

Aloha!

My Wife just returned from an extended trip in Nepal, and she brought back this amazing gift for me:

A bottle of Nepalese rum in the shape of a traditional kukri knife (commonly known as a gurkha knife) - simply amazing! I was delighted (to say the least), but just as I was inwardly thinking "this bottle is so amazing, I can't ever drink from it" she produced a second "standard" bottle for actual consumption!

The glass has a Nepalese seal embossed on it (note the crossed kukri knives) - it was a bit tricky to photograph

and a date on the top (of when the distillery was founded)

Haven't tried it yet - but it has a strong oakish aroma. My wife had some in Nepal and she said it had a chocolate flavor. Will provide tasting notes soon! The standard bottle is now on my run shed, and the fancy-pants knife bottle has joined my modest tiki mug collection (never to be opened)

Mahalo,
Henrik "VanTiki"

[ Edited by: VanTiki 2014-02-14 11:32 ]

Very interesting! What a cool bottle. Nice gift!

Enjoy your tasting.

I have a bottle of that same rum, also in the knife bottle. I have had it for years, but have never opened it, for exactly the same reason. I will be very interested to hear your opinion of the rum, should you decide to open your non-knife shaped bottle.

On 2014-02-14 11:31, VanTiki wrote:
A bottle of Nepalese rum in the shape of a traditional kukri knife (commonly known as a gurkha knife) - simply amazing!

sorry, i'm gonna have to call any rum-filled knife, a "FogCutter..."

:P

A

On 2014-02-14 11:31, VanTiki wrote:
My Wife just returned from an extended trip in Nepal, and she brought back this amazing gift for me:

You should marry that woman!

The Khukri rum is actually pretty tasty stuff. Found a dusty bottle in a SW Florida liquor store a few years ago a d bought it. The rum was definitely on the rich and sweet side and me and a rum enthisiast friend made fairly short work of it.

Also found a bottle of Old Monk rum from India i. The same store. I had read that was the single best selling rum in the world so I bought that as well. Horrid, syrupy chemical stuff, still have most of that bottle left.

H
Hearn posted on Sat, Feb 15, 2014 3:33 AM

Khukri is a solid dark rum. A little on the sweet/molassesy side but I really enjoyed it. Good in a Mai Tai as well.

V

Made a dark and stormy the inter night from the bottle (the knife shall never be opened!), and it is indeed quite yummy! Smooth, somewhat sweet, and quite enjoyable. I found it smooth and "smokey-oakey" (that is a technical term - means it tasted like smoked oak :) ), and Ms. VanTiki swears it has a chocolate finish. It is going to be a challenge to only use this rum for special occasions - it is so yummy!

[ Edited by: VanTiki 2014-02-17 11:20 ]

Pages: 1 7 replies