Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

in need of a tiki doctor

Pages: 1 8 replies

Hey all, Ive got several older free standing wood carved tikis, and since Im moving, I wanna take em with me but so many are starting to fall apart, and break, so Im wondering if there is a way to repair them, possibly metal brackets or wood glue?
thanks
paul

heres what Im dealing with....

[ Edited by: Pele Paul 2014-02-18 12:07 ]

You may want to PM Buzzy or any of the other carvers on here (Tiki Diablo, Crazy Al, etc) in case they don't see this post.

They should be able to offer some guidance.

Also I think there have been some threads on here in the past about fixing tikis that were decaying.

Try searching also just by chance

Wood dowels and glue will hold the pieces together. Drill from behind and when gluing clamp securely. Its inevitable they will fall apart, but you can extend their life for a few more years with some well placed dowels and supports.

Oceanic Arts does Tiki repairs, put in a call to the big guys
http://www.oceanicarts.net/

P

ehh, why pay someone else to do something simple.

drill em', get a dowel rod, dip in in wood glue, and put humpty dumpty back together again. Clamp it, or use a strap with a clamp on it to hold it together while the glue dries.

easy peasy. :)

This is why I no longer carve palm (which I assume this material is, looks it) palm is not a wood per-say it's in the orchid family and very unpredictable, you could try to glue and pin it, the problem lies in finding the actual stable wood of which generally there is not much,

P

^ yes, it's gonna be all crumbly and shit.

and that is why you need to use long, sturdy dowels and drill deep!

you can do this. :wink:

P

once you get it together, get a bunch of sawdust & mix it with wood glue, fill the cracks, and restain / paint it... or torch it...

Pages: 1 8 replies