Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Origin for this tiki statue?

Pages: 1 8 replies

K

This guy is about 18 inches tall. The bottom of his foot says Copyright 1962. I picked him up in an antique shop in East Texas in 2000 or so. I've also seen some bookends that look almost exactly like him. Anyone know anything?

Looks like your good old vintage Hawaiian Tourist Tiki
you would have found at the many Island gift shops back in the day.

I don't think a hand carved piece for tourist would have a copyright date on it. It looks like a molded piece. What material is it made of?

War God, page 239, The Book Of Tiki.

I have two of these both a little smaller than yours. I think they were made in the Philippines. I've ran across a number of these in the south sound most nicely done and a couple kind of rough. Thought I saw a sticker on one confirming this that I didn't buy but I won't swear to that. But what I can say is that the Polynesia restaurant in Seattle which had the female tikis seen on either side of this entrance at the '62 Seattle worlds fair...

also had in 11/61 your tikis big brother.

I've also bought a few tikis in Hawaii from Tongan carvers and their style has seemed different from these.
(this in reference to Kylejacks' link)

aloha, tikicoma

[ Edited by: tikicoma 2014-02-24 00:04 ]

On 2014-02-23 08:20, kylejack wrote:
This guy is about 18 inches tall. The bottom of his foot says Copyright 1962. I picked him up in an antique shop in East Texas in 2000 or so. I've also seen some bookends that look almost exactly like him. Anyone know anything?

Wait for it...wait for it...

K

On 2014-02-23 14:45, uncle trav wrote:
I don't think a hand carved piece for tourist would have a copyright date on it. It looks like a molded piece. What material is it made of?

He's carved wood.

Yup a Tourist piece, seen many of them.

Pages: 1 8 replies